Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding PID of a process using variable substituition Post 302296365 by amio on Wednesday 11th of March 2009 03:29:46 AM
Old 03-11-2009
Question Finding PID of a process using variable substituition

Hi All,
Am copying mulitple files in a directory in names File0,File1,File2 etc.
I need to print separately the PID of these copies using File names.

Code:
for((i=0;i<5;i++))
do
mypid=`ps aux | awk '/File$i/ && !/awk/ { print $2 }'`
echo PID is $mypid
done

It printed nothing. Thinking "File$i" is not found. Am i right? Is there a way to find the PID of a process using variable substituition? If not, how it cud be achieved?

FYI,I got the PID of FIle0 or FIle1 if i use its name specifically like,

Code:
mypid=`ps aux | awk '/File0/ && !/awk/ { print $2 }'`
echo PID is $mypid

Thanks,
Amio

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

finding out the pid for a busy text file

Can some one please tell me how to find out the proccess ID that is holding up a file. I am attempting to remove a file and I am getting a message stating that it is busy. i.e rm filename filename: 777 mode ? (y/n) y rm: filename not removed. Text file busy Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

2. Solaris

getting pid of process

hi all, Is there a simple script anyone could through out to me, to find the pid of a process given the name. I actually need to bind this pid to a processor set. I would probably put these comamns in a shell script which would have. a) kick start the executable b) get the pid c) bind it to a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naanu
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get an PID of particular process

Hi I have written a shell script to find and kill the particular process. Here in shell script i have written the code like cnt = $(ps -ef | grep Shree) echo $cnt I am getting the output root 2326 2317 0 14:39:46 pts/1 0:28 Shree -f fdc.fbconf FDCapp.fbapp Here I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shreedhar Naik
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the nice(ni) number with PID?

Hi, is there a command that takes the PID of a process and that only diplays it's ni number? I`m pretty sure it would require pipes but I tried a few things that ended up miserably... Since the ps command doesn't show the ni unless I do ps -o ni but then I can't find a way to search the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Finding PID of Killing process

Say I have 2 processes(perl scripts on Solaris machine) A and B. the process A kill the process B. While in the process B how do I print the PID of the process that Killed it(process A) before dieing. My process A looks like open(STATS, "ps -ef|"); while ($inputLine = <STATS>) { if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_007
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get PID of a process into a variable

Hi All, I need to get the PID of a process which i ran in background into a variable echo $! gives me the PID of last background process but how to get this into a variable so that i can use "wait" command later in the script to make sure that this background process was done var = `echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question about finding the PID of long-running processes

The end result that I'd like is to terminate any process on my ps -u username list that extends beyond 20 minutes. I know for a fact that this process will be named l.exe, but I don't know the number in between and I won't know the PID. Is there a way to use grep or pidof to do this task every 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bolanok
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in finding the PID by grep and assigning to a variable

Hello All, I am facing difficulty in getting the PID value & then assigning it to a variable, kindly help me in resolving the issue. Thanks a lot in advance. The custom utility used inside the Test2.sh will process the file in a batch of 10 lines at once and for efficient memory management,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the exit status of a 'nohup' command using 'PID'.

Hello All, I need to run a set of scripts, say 50 of them, parallely. I'm running these 50 scripts, from inside a script with the help of 'nohup' command. 1.The fifty scripts are stored in a separate file. 2.In a master script, i'm reading every line of the file through loop and executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
4 Replies
uucp(1c)																  uucp(1c)

Name
       uucp, uulog, uuname - unix to unix copy

Syntax
       uucp [option...] source-file...	destination-file

uulog [option...]

uuname [option...]

Description
       The  command  copies  files  named by the source-file arguments to the destination-file argument.  A file name either may be a path name on
       your machine or may have the form

system-name!pathname

where `system-name' is taken from a list of system names which knows about.  Shell metacharacters ?*[] appearing in the pathname part  will
       be expanded on the appropriate system.

Pathnames  may  be  a  full  pathname, a pathname preceded by ~user, where user is a userid on the specified system and is replaced by that
       user's login directory, or anything else prefixed by the current directory.

If the result is an erroneous pathname for the remote system, the copy will fail.  If the destination-file is a directory, the last part of
       the  source-file  name is used.	If a simple ~user destination is inaccessible to data is copied to a spool directory and the user is noti-
       fied by

The command preserves execute permissions across the transmission and gives 0666 read and write permissions.  For further information, see

Options
       The following options are interpreted by

-d Creates all necessary directories for the file copy.

-c Uses the source file when copying out rather than copying the file to the spool directory.

-m Sends you mail when the copy is complete.

-nrec
	  Sends mail to the recipient.

-W Expands only local files.  Normally files names are prepended with the current working directory if a full path is not  specified.   The
	  -W tells to expand local files only.

The command prints a summary of and transactions that were recorded in the file

The options cause to print logging information:

-ssys
	  Displays information about work involving specified system.

-uuser
	  Displays information about work involving specified user.

The command lists the uucp names of known systems.

-l Lists local system name.

Warnings
       The  domain  of	remotely  accessible  files  can (and for obvious security reasons, usually should) be severely restricted.  You will very
       likely not be able to fetch files by pathname.  Ask a responsible person on the remote system to send them to you.  For the  same  reasons,
       you will probably not be able to send files to arbitrary pathnames.

Restrictions
       All files received by will be owned by uucp.
       The  -m	option	will  only work sending files or receiving a single file.  (Receiving multiple files specified by special shell characters
       ?*[] will not activate the -m option.)

Files
       /usr/spool/uucp - spool directory
       /usr/lib/uucp/* - other data and program files
       /etc/acucap - shared autodial modem database

See Also
       mail(1), uux(1c), acucap(5)
       "Uucp Implementation Description," ULTRIX Supplementary Documentation, Vol. III:System Manager

uucp(1c)