Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers LVM lvcreate don't want to format Post 302296062 by Ivan45 on Tuesday 10th of March 2009 09:18:41 AM
Old 03-10-2009
LVM lvcreate don't want to format

Hello,

I would like to create a Lvolume on an already written disk.
Main goal is to NOT format data on this disk. Unfortunately, while trying to mount my LV , I've got this error :
linux-qc44:/ # mount -a
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/system-DB,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Anyone have an idea ?

Before doing a mount -a, here's what I did :

linux-qc44:/ # pvcreate /dev/sdb
Physical volume "/dev/sdb" successfully created
linux-qc44:/ # vgcreate system /dev/sdb
Volume group "system" successfully created
linux-qc44:/ # lvcreate -l 100%FREE system -n DB
Logical volume "DB" created
linux-qc44:/ # lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/system/DB
VG Name system
LV UUID WcEgQK-7xZB-622K-tSu3-x0AQ-Lzhr-fLgHxE
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 0
LV Size 1020.00 MB
Current LE 255
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:0

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like öƒ.ƒ.„İİ¡Š·œƒ.„İİ¡Š· ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting windows format file to unix format using script

Hi, I am having couple of files which i used to copy from windows to Linux, so now in case of text files (CTRL^M) appears at end of line. I know i can convert this windows format file to unix format file by running dos2unix. My requirement here is that i want to do it automatically using a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl module to convert xlsx format to xls format

Hi Folks, I have written a perl script that reads data from excel sheet(.xls) using Spreadsheet::ParseExcel module. But the problem is this module doesn't work for excel sheets with extension .xlsx. I have gone through Spreadsheet::XLSX module with which we can read from .xlsx file directly.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies

6. Fedora

Problem Executing "lvcreate" Command

Hi everyone, I use Fedora 17. I used gparted to created a dev/sdb2 partition. I then used vgextend to extend the volume group. The output of vgdisplay shows the condition of my volume group: --- Volume group --- VG Name vg_data System ID Format ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script for transferring bulk files from one format to text format

"Help Me" Need script for transferring bulk files from one format to text format in a unix server. Please suggest (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kranthi Kumar
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Lvcreate snapshot - ignore files

Hi, Need help for the below scenario.. Its a linux os snapshot which has been taken based on taking snapshot using lvcreate..while taking rootvg it taking an dump file of 2GB unnecessarily.. So any tricks to avoid the dump file while creating snapshot using lvcreate (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
0 Replies
MKFS.MINIX(8)						       System Administration						     MKFS.MINIX(8)

NAME
mkfs.minix - make a Minix filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs.minix [options] device [size-in-blocks] DESCRIPTION
mkfs.minix creates a Linux MINIX filesystem on a device (usually a disk partition). The device is usually of the following form: /dev/hda[1-8] (IDE disk 1) /dev/hdb[1-8] (IDE disk 2) /dev/sda[1-8] (SCSI disk 1) /dev/sdb[1-8] (SCSI disk 2) The device may be a block device or a image file of one, but this is not enforced. Expect not much fun on a character device :-). The size-in-blocks parameter is the desired size of the file system, in blocks. It is present only for backwards compatibility. If omit- ted the size will be determined automatically. Only block counts strictly greater than 10 and strictly less than 65536 are allowed. OPTIONS
-c, --check Check the device for bad blocks before creating the filesystem. If any are found, the count is printed. -n, --namelength length Specify the maximum length of filenames. Currently, the only allowable values are 14 and 30 for file system versions 1 and 2. Ver- sion 3 allows only value 60. The default is 30. -i, --inodes number Specify the number of inodes for the filesystem. -l, --badblocks filename Read the list of bad blocks from filename. The file has one bad-block number per line. The count of bad blocks read is printed. -1 Make a Minix version 1 filesystem. This is the default. -2, -v Make a Minix version 2 filesystem. -3 Make a Minix version 3 filesystem. -V, --version Display version information and exit. The long option cannot be combined with other options. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by mkfs.minix is one of the following: 0 No errors 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error SEE ALSO
fsck(8), mkfs(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkfs.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2015 MKFS.MINIX(8)