Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I grep a Date correctly Post 302295613 by Perderabo on Monday 9th of March 2009 05:03:36 AM
Old 03-09-2009
If you do this:
var=date

echo $var
echo "$var"
you're just going to get the work "date" displayed. To run the date command and use its output, you need to do:
echo $(date)
echo $($var)
if you're using a modern shell. If you're using an antique shell:
echo `date`
echo `$var`

And next time please tell us which shell you're using.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is grep being used correctly?

My goal is to find files contain the "signal 11" string in a specific directory. I need the file details followed by the string. I wrote a script to test out and play with Shell command since it's my first time to write a Shell script. Let me cut the story short... this command line: if ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai0899
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep date from ls -l

I have a script which required the month and day as the input ex : ./script <Month> <date> from this I get the list of files to do further logics. The problem is when I assign these $1 and $2 to variables, and use grep command in the script ls -l |grep "$1 $2" it works fine for two... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GenMen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep -A switch not working correctly with -m

egrep -A 7 -m 2 -h 'Date:|Time:' *.html this is showing only 2 line after the context of the 2nd found match. Is this a bug in grep? egrep -A 7 -m 2 -h 'Time:' *.html - this works correctly (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zer0
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/awk not getting the message correctly

I have a script which will take two file as the inputs and take the Value in file1 and search in file2 and give the output in Outputfile. #!/bin/sh #. ${HOME}/crossworlds/bin/CWSharedEnv.sh FILE1=$1 FILE2=$2 for Var in $(cat $FILE1);do echo $Var grep -i "$Var" $FILE2 done > Outputfile I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SwapnaNaidu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date command to obtain the last month is not working correctly..

Hello, I could not find the exactly same post here.. so I will explain what I did to get the last month using date command. I used date +%Y-%m -d "-1 months" to get the last month. However, the returned value of above command on 2009/10/31 was 2009 10 and not 2009 09.. and the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigersk
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Result of the grep is not storred correctly into the variable

I am facing a problem while storring the grep results into a variable. I need to count the occurence of the pattern \, in a file and store that in a variable. I have given the below command p=`grep -c '\\,' filename` But while echoing the variable, i am getting the total number of lines in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renjithv
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating expiry date using date,sed,grep

Hi, I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me with my problem. I have a crawler which collects spam URLs everyday & this data needs to be published in a blacklist. Here's the catch: The "Time To Live" (TTL) for each URL is 3 months (or whatever for that matter). If i see the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r4v3n
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with date

I have few files in one directory as below and I require the files that were created today... $ls -ltr -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 0 Dec 5 17:34 file4.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 0 Dec 5 17:34 file5.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 0 Dec 7 17:34 file6.txt -rw-r--r-- 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date not displaying correctly

Hi Experts, I tried to stay away from posting stuff here and asking for help. I want to print date valeu for a given variable and that is not working. #!/bin/bash START=`echo $1 | tr -d _`; FV=`echo $2` for (( c = 0 ; c < $FV ; c++ )) do # echo -n "`date --date="$START +$c day"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: PG3
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Regexp not working correctly

Consider the following code: grep -o -e '^STEAM_::\d+$' workfile3.tmp A sample format of a valid string for the regexp would be: STEAM_0:1:12345678 Here is an example line from the workfile3.tmp file: 465:L 01/02/2012 - 00:05:33: "Spartan1-1-7<8><STEAM_0:1:47539638><>" connected No... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spinner0205
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)