Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: scripting dilema
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers scripting dilema Post 302295008 by family_guy on Friday 6th of March 2009 10:05:47 AM
Old 03-06-2009
i am on AIX ....the filename would be something like this

filename06Mar09

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to scripting

Hi, I am new Unix and Linux, and newer to scripting. I am trying to start out with simple things, but I am having problems. I am trying to write a script that will perform a simple math function. Adding any number of parameters(numbers) and outputting the sum. I have a basic understanding of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdrtaz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting guru's pls help me with scripting on AIX

can someone pls help me with the script for a files coming from one system to a particular directory and i want to write a script to move those files to another directory on different system by renaming the files... pls someone help me on this... thanking in anticipation.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thatiprashant
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

6. Android

Android Scripting Environment: Shell Scripting and Android

I just upgraded to Android 2.2 from 2.1. The GPS issue that was troublesome in 2.1 seems to have been fixed. Some of web browsing seems faster, but it could just be my connection is better today ;) Flash works in some browsers but not very good and it is too slow for Flash apps designed for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

8. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -v dilema

Hello Folks, How do I use awk for passing, seraching and returning certain lines above a pattern variable numbers.txt one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies
ACCT(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   ACCT(2)

NAME
acct - switch process accounting on or off SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int acct(const char *filename); DESCRIPTION
When called with the name of an existing file as argument, accounting is turned on, records for each terminating process are appended to filename as it terminates. An argument of NULL causes accounting to be turned off. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EACCES Write permission is denied for the specified file. EACCES The argument filename is not a regular file. EFAULT filename points outside your accessible address space. EIO Error writing to the file filename. EISDIR filename is a directory. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving filename. ENAMETOOLONG filename was too long. ENOENT The specified filename does not exist. ENOMEM Out of memory. ENOSYS BSD process accounting has not been enabled when the operating system kernel was compiled. The kernel configuration parameter con- trolling this feature is CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT. ENOTDIR A component used as a directory in filename is not in fact a directory. EPERM The calling process has no permission to enable process accounting. EROFS filename refers to a file on a read-only file system. EUSERS There are no more free file structures or we ran out of memory. CONFORMING TO
SVr4 (but not POSIX). SVr4 documents an EBUSY error condition, but no EISDIR or ENOSYS. Also AIX and HPUX document EBUSY (attempt is made to enable accounting when it is already enabled), as does Solaris (attempt is made to enable accounting using the same file that is cur- rently being used). NOTES
No accounting is produced for programs running when a crash occurs. In particular, nonterminating processes are never accounted for. Linux 2.1.126 1998-11-04 ACCT(2)