Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Capturing a value in to variable. Post 302294534 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 5th of March 2009 11:27:48 AM
Old 03-05-2009
Why not use sql to do what you want:
Code:
echo "
set pages 0
set feedback off
set verify off
set trimout on
set colsep ""
set tab off
SELECT 
(select count(*) from staging ) - 
(select sum(amt) from staging) 
FROM DUAL;
exit
" | sqlplus -s user/pwsd@somedb | read TOTAL

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing the output of grep as integer variable

Hi, I have an expression using grep and nawk that captures the ID number of a given Unix process. It gets printed to screen but I don't know how to declare a variable to this returned value! For example, ps -ef|grep $project | grep -v grep | nawk '{print $2}' This returns my number. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babariba
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing value into variable

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, I am trying to write a shell script, which will automate the process of mailing the invoices at the end of the day. For major part I am using Oracle database function. The problem is I want to capture the value returned by the Oracle function into the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasad01
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing some data from a file into a variable

I have a file with some values in a tab delimted format Eg: 'test' contains: a<tab>b<tab>c<tab>Trk_12345678 now i need to capture this value 'Trk_12345678' into a variable say 'x' and append that value of 12345678 to 12345679 and store is back to a new 'test1' file as : 'test1'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiroh_1982
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing a number at the end of line and store it as variable

Hello, Would someone guide me on how to write a shell script the would search for a phone no using at the end text file using sed or awk and store it in a varaible or print it. The text file is in this form text or numbers in first line text or numbers in second line . . . Firsname... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amuthiga
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing the o/p to a variable

Hi, #Script mentioned below txt=($(echo `./demo1.sh`)) p=0 for p in "$txt" do col=($(./generateTable /import/data01/sri/Developer/SqlReport/Lab/23/${var} "$p")) . . . . done o/p displayed upon executing a script called "demo1.sh" is as below(two seperate lines):... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing new lines when capturing output to variable

Explain this? $ ls | grep -e "crd\|cs" crd cs $ CLONES=`ls | grep -e "crd\|cs"`;echo $CLONES; crd cs $ CLONES=`ls | grep -e "crd\|cs"`;echo "$CLONES"; crd cs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blasto333
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing a file to store in a variable

I have a file in a windows directory the file is delivery to us like this 07210900.dat where 07210900 is the current date. If I want to store that file in a variable UpLoadFileName and rename, so I can Ftp later to a UNIX directory, I am doing this, is this correct? CDRemoteDir='cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with capturing homedir via ssh and saving to variable

I need to capture the homedir using the ssh command and then saving it to a variable. The results from the following command is what I need to capture to a variable: NOTE: the value I'm getting back is also incorrect. as it seems to be getting the home dir from the local server and not the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reneuend
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Capturing output in a korn variable

Hi, I'm new to korn and having trouble capturing the text output from one program in an array that I can then feed into another program. Direct approaches didn't work, so I've tried to break it down thus: The program lonlat2pixline gives the values I need in the second column, so I print that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daurin
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED capturing information from a variable

Hi I can't get this line to work. I need to capture what is between Home and plugin_out, where the .* is located. RUN=`echo '${TSP_FILEPATH_PLUGIN_DIR}' | sed -e 's^/results/analysis/output/Home/\(.*\)/plugin_out/g'`; echo ${RUN}; I'm getting the error sed: -e expression #1, char 51:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdilts
1 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)