Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting scripting newbie... some help please? Post 302293695 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 04:04:07 PM
Old 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd9qs
i guess i just don't know what i'm doing. I thought i'd need an 'overwrite' option because of output i have recieved from programs before... thinking about it now, i guess it was a silly question, seeing as the filename has a timestamp on it Smilie...

What does the timestamp have to do with it?
Quote:
now i have a different issue... i have put all of my changes that you guys have helped me figure out into the script. i also added a little bit of code to create a directory if the $SAVEPATH wasn't one already. here is that section:

Code:
press_enter
        echo ""
        echo ""
        echo "Where would you like the new .tar.gz archive for $FILENAME stored?"
        echo -n "(just specify a directory with / at the end, filename is automatic) >  "
        echo ""
        read SAVEPATH
        if [ -z $SAVEPATH ]; then
                echo "No directory specified. Exiting..."; exit 1;
        fi
        if [ ! -d $SAVEPATH ]; then
                echo -n "$SAVEPATH does not exist. Would you like to create it? (y/n) >  ";
                read $answer
                        if [ "$answer" != "y" ]; then
                                echo "O.K. Exiting..."; exit 1;
                        fi
        fi
        echo "Making directory $SAVEPATH..."
        mkdir $SAVEPATH
        echo ""
        echo "$SAVEPATH created..."

i know i have to be overlooking a syntax error (or i just don't have it set up correctly) because, when i test the program with a directory that doesn't exist, it asks if I want to create it, i signal "y", and then it immediately exits... what am i doing wrong?

edit -

also, when i give it a directory that does exist, it does the mkdir $SAVEPATH command... i must have them switched up somehow. what should this look like?

Put mkdir inside the if statement.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie - Need help in bash scripting

Hi there, I am a student and currently working on a project. I have a file that contains about 50 filenames. (1.txt, 2.txt, 3.txt ...). I would like to know how can I store these filenames into a variable using a loop? I would appreciate if anyone can help me. Thank You. Regards, Bib (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbib
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting Newbie

I'm relatively new at this scripting game, just need to learn some basic stuff for data handling. My current need is to write a script that loops through a textfile of filenames, and for each file removes the first line and re-writes that file to a new name. In fact I could do with knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mattyjim2
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting Newbie

Seems simple but I am having difficulty with this one: I am trying to write a single command line argument (which will be a path) - the program should print out the owner of the path. I can not get anything I write to run. Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kymmers7
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting newbie needs help

I have written a script that will email a generic user when a device is "offline". I would like to enhance this by having the script lookup a contact's email and automatically add it to the MAIL_LIST. I am trying to lookup and return data based on a field common in two files File 1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: irishluck66
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting NEWBIE - Need Help

Could someone please recommend a very good shell scripting book for me. I would be starting a new job that would require a very good understanding of shell scripting. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayoka
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting needed for newbie

Hi, I am newbie in shell scripting I have a file name like simple.txt which comes from Mainframe systems onto windows dir every 15 minutes daily. File name is same. Every 15 minutes it updates. I need to write shell script to check if the file arrived every 15 min or not. If the new file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinniforu2003
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Newbie

Hi Guys, I want to create a shell script to run multiple jobs in sequence. Explaination - If I were to run each jobs individually I would have gone to folder - "abin"(where my shellscript is place) as follows cd abin abin > runappeng.sh abc001 Now, I have list of programs which are like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaits84
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed newbie scripting assistance

Howdy folks, I'm trying to craft a log file summarisation tool for an application that creates a lot of duplicate entries with only a different suffix to indicate point of execution. I thought I'd gotten close but I'm clearly missing something. Here's a genericized version: A text_file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mthespian
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting - Newbie

Hi all, I have drill to do and I'll very appreciate your help: Please create a simple CSV file as follow (3 columns and 4 rows): A,B,C A,”B,C”,D “A,B”,C,D o A,B,”C,D” - Please refer to the comma between the quotation marks as a parameter and not as a separator. - Please provide... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elior
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie needs help with some bash scripting

Please bear with me, I'm a beginner but have had some experience and decent knowledge to understand things as I read them and I'm in the process of trying to learn more. I recently inherited a UNIX server which has a bash script which is part of a crontab schedule that needs to be modified (or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danylko
3 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)