Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Retreiving and storing date... Post 302293678 by ce9888 on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 03:36:38 PM
Old 03-03-2009
Make sure you have a backtick (`) not a single quote ('). Its doesnt have the same effect.

You should have that :

Code:
DATE=`date +%Y%m%d`

and not :

Code:
DATE='date +%Y%m%d'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

storing date into a file from a program

hi all: i want to store the current date in to a file from a program. every time i execute the prg the date should get appended into the file. help me plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retreiving live data

I have a stream of data come to a server and store in a file (datafile). This stream of data contain a lot of information. Data could come in every second or different frequency of times. I like to retrieve a certain text string as the data come in. All data information will come with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date capturing regex and storing

Hi all I need help on how to store two or more date formates captured using regex from an input sentence in PERL ? For example, I have an input sentence consisting of two dates such as : The departure date is August 12, 2009 and arrival date is 20.08.2009. Now, I want to capture the two... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreiving information from a text file

Hey guys, i just started shell programming and i have a question. I am working on a simple inventory project and one of the problems which i am unable to solve would be how i am going to extract the data i need from a text file(which will be my database) and then put it inside the executable to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

retreiving file name in a variable on ftp

Hi , I need to retreive the file name in an variable on the ftp server.Can you guy please let me know how can i do that.I need some thing like connect to ftp <<eof new_variable=`ls *_1_AUDIT.txt *_2_AUDIT.txt` (but on a ftp server) mget $new_variable >>eof (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Param0073
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with retreiving files' information stored in different directories.

Dear All, I have a question. I have similarly named files stored in different directories and I'd like to retreive information from them remotely to perform other tasks. For example given: Folder 5 has files S5_SK1.chr01 S5_SK1.chr02 ....... Folder 6 has files S6_SK1.chr01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in retreiving records from Oracle

Hello, I am new to UNIX. My Requirement: Need to connect to Oracle database from UNIX and execute an SELECT statement and store the records in a flatfile of Comma delimiter. What I have Succeeded: I was able to connect to Oracle from UNIX. Problem: I cannot fetch multiple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunvasu2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreiving part of a mail ID

Hi all, I want to retrieve a part of the mail ID. Im using Ksh. The mail ID's i handle are of the type: abc.def@ghi.com I want the abc part alone. Here is the code i used: a=`echo $mailid |sed 's/\(.*\)..../\1/'` echo $a but the output i get is abc.def@ghi I dont know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl : searching for month and storing the date and time in an array

I am writing the code in perl. I have an array in perl and each variable in the array contains the data in the below format Now I need to check the below variable w.r.t system month I need to store the date and time(Tue Aug 7 03:54:12 2012) from the below data into file if contains only 'Aug'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and retreiving numbers

Hi, I have one file 1.txt with one field consist of following Ids (shortlisted 10 but showing 3 here): 00052 00184 00607 and then second file 2.txt with three fields (very big file): 00052 00184 12.73062 00052 00598 13.51205 00052 00599 13.92554 00052 00600 13.73358... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
2 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)