Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Retreiving and storing date... Post 302293622 by Radar on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 01:24:58 PM
Old 03-03-2009
touch report`date "+%Y%m%d"`.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

storing date into a file from a program

hi all: i want to store the current date in to a file from a program. every time i execute the prg the date should get appended into the file. help me plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retreiving live data

I have a stream of data come to a server and store in a file (datafile). This stream of data contain a lot of information. Data could come in every second or different frequency of times. I like to retrieve a certain text string as the data come in. All data information will come with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date capturing regex and storing

Hi all I need help on how to store two or more date formates captured using regex from an input sentence in PERL ? For example, I have an input sentence consisting of two dates such as : The departure date is August 12, 2009 and arrival date is 20.08.2009. Now, I want to capture the two... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreiving information from a text file

Hey guys, i just started shell programming and i have a question. I am working on a simple inventory project and one of the problems which i am unable to solve would be how i am going to extract the data i need from a text file(which will be my database) and then put it inside the executable to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

retreiving file name in a variable on ftp

Hi , I need to retreive the file name in an variable on the ftp server.Can you guy please let me know how can i do that.I need some thing like connect to ftp <<eof new_variable=`ls *_1_AUDIT.txt *_2_AUDIT.txt` (but on a ftp server) mget $new_variable >>eof (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Param0073
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with retreiving files' information stored in different directories.

Dear All, I have a question. I have similarly named files stored in different directories and I'd like to retreive information from them remotely to perform other tasks. For example given: Folder 5 has files S5_SK1.chr01 S5_SK1.chr02 ....... Folder 6 has files S6_SK1.chr01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in retreiving records from Oracle

Hello, I am new to UNIX. My Requirement: Need to connect to Oracle database from UNIX and execute an SELECT statement and store the records in a flatfile of Comma delimiter. What I have Succeeded: I was able to connect to Oracle from UNIX. Problem: I cannot fetch multiple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunvasu2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreiving part of a mail ID

Hi all, I want to retrieve a part of the mail ID. Im using Ksh. The mail ID's i handle are of the type: abc.def@ghi.com I want the abc part alone. Here is the code i used: a=`echo $mailid |sed 's/\(.*\)..../\1/'` echo $a but the output i get is abc.def@ghi I dont know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl : searching for month and storing the date and time in an array

I am writing the code in perl. I have an array in perl and each variable in the array contains the data in the below format Now I need to check the below variable w.r.t system month I need to store the date and time(Tue Aug 7 03:54:12 2012) from the below data into file if contains only 'Aug'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and retreiving numbers

Hi, I have one file 1.txt with one field consist of following Ids (shortlisted 10 but showing 3 here): 00052 00184 00607 and then second file 2.txt with three fields (very big file): 00052 00184 12.73062 00052 00598 13.51205 00052 00599 13.92554 00052 00600 13.73358... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
2 Replies
TOUCH(3)								 1								  TOUCH(3)

touch - Sets access and modification time of file

SYNOPSIS
bool touch (string $filename, [int $time = time()], [int $atime]) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to set the access and modification times of the file named in the $filename parameter to the value given in $time. Note that the access time is always modified, regardless of the number of parameters. If the file does not exist, it will be created. PARAMETERS
o $filename - The name of the file being touched. o $time - The touch time. If $time is not supplied, the current system time is used. o $atime - If present, the access time of the given filename is set to the value of $atime. Otherwise, it is set to the value passed to the $time parameter. If neither are present, the current system time is used. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | It became possible to change the modification | | | time of a directory under Windows. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 touch(3) example <?php if (touch($filename)) { echo $filename . ' modification time has been changed to present time'; } else { echo 'Sorry, could not change modification time of ' . $filename; } ?> Example #2 touch(3) using the $time parameter <?php // This is the touch time, we'll set it to one hour in the past. $time = time() - 3600; // Touch the file if (!touch('some_file.txt', $time)) { echo 'Whoops, something went wrong...'; } else { echo 'Touched file with success'; } ?> NOTES
Note Note that time resolution may differ from one file system to another. Warning Prior to PHP 5.3.0 it was not possible to change the modification time of a directory with this function under Windows. PHP Documentation Group TOUCH(3)