Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Initialization Problems - Cannot execute automatically Post 302293303 by moonunit on Monday 2nd of March 2009 11:06:26 PM
Old 03-03-2009
Initialization Problems - Cannot execute automatically

Figured out the first half but am still having a little trouble shooting problem with the Initialization Files. I am working in bash on a remote server.

When I log on I am seeing the correct prompt but right before that I am also seeing this

Quote:
-bash: [: id -u: integer expression expected
[myname@mystuff myname]$
the id -u integer expression expected is what I can't get my head around at the moment.

This is what I have in my /etc/profile
Quote:
MAIL=/usr/mail/${LOGNAME:?}

#
# /etc/profile
# Systemwide environment and startup programs
# Functions and aliases go in /etc/bashrc
PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"
PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
ulimit -c 1000000
if [ 'id -gn' = 'id -un' -a 'id -u' -gt 14 ]; then
umask 002
else
umask 022
fi
USER='id -un'
LOGNAME=$USER
MAIL="/var/spool/mail/$USER"
HOSTNAME='/bin/hostname'
HISTSIZE=1000
HISTFILESIZE=1000
export PATH PS1 HOSTNAME HISTSIZE HISTFILESIZE USER LOGNAME MAIL
for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
if [ -x $i ]; then
. $i
fi
done
unset i #
any ideas as to why this is prompting??

Last edited by moonunit; 03-04-2009 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: Figured out the first half, need help again with second

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Struct Initialization

Hi We are using a code generator for initializing structures with the #define macro. Compiling it with the GCC 2.8.1 (with -ansi) it OK. But when we are using the SUN C 5.0 compiler it screams. Following is a code sample: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> typedef struct TEST3 {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatsaka
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

i want a script to execute if the time is 12:00 automatically

i write a script for displaying a xmessage.But i want it to run automatically for every one hour.can any one help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
2 Replies

3. Programming

Char initialization

Hi All, char a="\0"; a) a contains \0 a contains garbage value b) a contains \ a contains 0 a contains garbage value Pls, let me know correct result is a or b. I guess a. Thanks, Naga:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically execute all programs in a directory

Hello. The last days I extended an open-source C++ library by some faster functions. This library provides a lot of short test programs which guarantee that the library works exactly. The compilation of each test works in a Makefile automatically. What I need is a shell script which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: max3000
5 Replies

5. Fedora

Automatically execute a software without gui at boot

hi all, this is my first post here...i hope that this is the correct section to write my question. I have a distro linux without gui, only text mode. So, it's possible run automatically a command or a program as "top" or "ping" and get the result on the main shell , after the boot and after... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangiaemi
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to i execute .rdf file oracle report automatically in cron tab unix

Hi, I want to execute .rdf file which uses oracle report in crontab ..Can you please help me out how to schedule it crontab.as it is a rdf file Please give any suggestions regarding the above issue. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: soumyamishra
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declaring variables without initialization

I get an error in my shell script that line 1: )unexpected. Line 1 in my script (using sh by the way) is the variable I declared but did not initialize it. result= Is this wrong? How can I fix it? I am using the variable later in the program, so I figured I could just declare it first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Initialization error

new to shell scripting. below line is showing error in script. ${parameter:=word} in the o/p first it shows the below error. word: not found. and then in next line print "word" ---------------- p2: word: not found. word --------------------------- OS is AIX and shell is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable initialization

Hallo Team, I have a simple request and i would appreciate your help. I would like to use two dates in my script lets: A=$(date +"%d %B %Y") echo $A 23 June 2014 That's awesome now we cooking. Now i want B to be on the previous month eg: echo $B Should give me 23 May 2014 I would... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
9 Replies
on(1)							      General Commands Manual							     on(1)

NAME
on - execute command on remote host with environment similar to local SYNOPSIS
| host [command [argument] ... ] DESCRIPTION
executes a command on a remote host, using an environment similar to that of the invoking user where: host specifies the name of the host on which to execute the command. command specifies the command to execute on host If command is not specified, starts a shell on host. argument ... is a list of arguments for command. The user's environment variables are copied to the remote host, and the file system containing the user's current working directory is NFS mounted on the remote host (see nfs(7)). The command is executed on the remote host in the user's current working directory. Commands using relative path names that reference file system objects within the user's current working file system have the same behavior as running the command on the client. The behavior of commands using relative path names that cross the file system boundary or commands using absolute path names depends on the organization of the remote host's file system. Implicit and explicit use of environment variables may also cause a command's behavior to be dependent on the organization of the remote host's file system. For example, the environment variable usually contains absolute path names. Standard input, output and error of the remote command are connected to the appropriate file descriptors on the client. The remote execution daemon does not allow to execute a remote command. The signals and are propagated to the remote command. and are ignored by the remote command. All other signals are delivered to the com- mand. In order to execute a remote command, the remote host must be configured to execute (see rexd(1M)). Options recognizes the following options: Interactive mode. This option is required for commands that must communicate with a terminal such as or Terminal mode changes are propagated to the server. The standard input for an interactive command must be a tty device. The and options are mutually exclusive. Debug mode. Print diagnostic messages during startup of the command. These messages are useful for detecting configuration problems if the command to a specific host is failing. No input mode. This option causes the remote command to get end-of-file (EOF) when it reads from standard input, instead of connecting the standard input of the command to the standard input of the remote command. The option is required when running commands in the background. The and options are mutually exclusive. DIAGNOSTICS
The host name host was not found in the hosts database. The host host is down, unreachable on the network, or not running A problem occurred trying to find the user's current working directory (current_dir). A problem occurred trying to determine the mount point of the user's current working directory (current_dir). The standard input (stdin) of the command with the option is not a tty device. Errors that occur on the server server are propagated back to the client. These messages are documented in the DIAGNOSTICS section of rexd(1M). AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
exports(4), rexd(1M). on(1)