Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to optimize our tape backups ? Post 302292087 by Browser_ice on Thursday 26th of February 2009 11:18:59 PM
Old 02-27-2009
Thank you for the info.

Unfortunetly, we have gzip (v1.2.4) on 1 of the DB servers. I am not aware of the license related ot its usage. So I cannot copy it over to the other DB servers.

The only compress tool we have across all servers is 'compress'.

However, if compress is a one single-threaded process, then the same method could be applied. So instead of taking 2hrs to compress all files of one DB backup, it would in theory take 20-30 min in total.

One other question, in using 'compress', which temporary storage does it use while compressing the file ? The current or some other assigned system folder ?

The folder where the backups are is pretty full and since I am not the system admin, I cannot increase its space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple backups on one tape

For those with backup tapes (and I just bought and installed a Seagate one for my FreeBSD box) I want to know how to get the most out of each tape by placing multiple backups on each tape (potentially 20GB). Please correct me if I'm wrong: First, retension the tape: # mt retension next, turn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
3 Replies

2. AIX

backups getting it so the tape doesn't rew.

Currently am running the backup command for AIX 5L and see that the tape is rewinding after the completion of the back. backup -0 -u -f /dev/rmt0 / >> $file 2>&1 What can I do to stop allow the backup to rew after the completion of this job? Any thoughts? Thanks again. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinburbridge
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

verifying tape backups

Hello all, how would i go about verifying that a tape is backing up data correctly other than restoring the backup. for example, what command would i use to check the tape for errors? Any and all help is appreciated -Coffee (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coffeebrown
0 Replies

4. SCO

Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape

when I do a tape status /dev/rStp0 I get the following on a new tape and I have tried several: Status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors: 2 underruns: 5 My BackupEdge has stopped backing up my system because it asks for a new volume yet my total system data is under 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
5 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tape drives used for taking backups

Hi, I am a abit new in AIX system administration field. I want to gather knowledge about backup techniques. As per my knowledge we use Tape archives for taking backups. Can anyone pls explain me in detail abt tape archive? Whether these tape archives come along with the systems or we have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumsrahul
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Remote Backups to a Tape

My tape library is broken but backups still need to go on .I have 2 boxes running Solaris 10 Got SCSI tape drive attached to the DEV box ( my PROD Box has only fibre) I want to take the prod backup from the DEV box using ufsdump. ie /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uvf DEV:/dev/rmt/1n... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Msororaji
2 Replies

7. AIX

Tape backups: do you always verify them after doing them ?

It may seam a bit odd that I ask this question. After you have done your backups to tapes, do you verify the content of the tapes ? - never - sometimes - always The reason I am asking is that here in the office, all the backup procedures include verifying the content of the tapes (no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about a tape write error doing backups

Hello all. UNIX dummy here :p Anyway I was trying to do a full backup of my work server SUN SPARC SERVER 1000 machine (yes we are actually using this dinosaur). I did the ufsdump comand and everything was fine until I got to the dumping of regular files. During the run I got the following... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hammerva
7 Replies

9. SCO

SCO tape backups won't restore in Ubuntu Linux environment

Hello folks. I have the following problem: I'm trying to create a tape backup of a list of files on a 10 year old server, running SCO Openserver 5.0.5 (the tape drive is a Seagate STD224000N, connected as a SCSI drive). I then want to restore the contents of this tape onto a new server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: klabelkholosh
6 Replies

10. AIX

Best method to encrypt AIX LTO6 tape backups?

Hello, I need to be able to encrypt LTO tapes that our AIX writes to for backups. We have a tape library (IBM TS3100) that our AIX host uses to write to LTO6 tapes. We then take those tapes off-site and restore to another AIX system using a 3580-H6S LTO6 tape drive - this is a very simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies
S3QLLOCK(1)							       S3QL							       S3QLLOCK(1)

NAME
s3qllock - Make trees on an S3QL file system immutable SYNOPSIS
s3qllock [options] <directory> DESCRIPTION
S3QL is a file system for online data storage. Before using S3QL, make sure to consult the full documentation (rather than just the man pages which only briefly document the available userspace commands). The s3qllock command makes a directory tree in an S3QL file system immutable. Immutable trees can no longer be changed in any way whatso- ever. You can not add new files or directories and you can not change or delete existing files and directories. The only way to get rid of an immutable tree is to use the s3qlrm command. s3qllock can only be called by the user that mounted the file system and (if the file system was mounted with --allow-other or --allow-root) the root user. This limitation might be removed in the future (see issue 155). RATIONALE
Immutability is a feature designed for backups. Traditionally, backups have been made on external tape drives. Once a backup was made, the tape drive was removed and locked somewhere in a shelf. This has the great advantage that the contents of the backup are now permanently fixed. Nothing (short of physical destruction) can change or delete files in the backup. In contrast, when backing up into an online storage system like S3QL, all backups are available every time the file system is mounted. Nothing prevents a file in an old backup from being changed again later on. In the worst case, this may make your entire backup system worthless. Imagine that your system gets infected by a nasty virus that simply deletes all files it can find -- if the virus is active while the backup file system is mounted, the virus will destroy all your old backups as well! Even if the possibility of a malicious virus or trojan horse is excluded, being able to change a backup after it has been made is generally not a good idea. A common S3QL use case is to keep the file system mounted at all times and periodically create backups with rsync -a. This allows every user to recover her files from a backup without having to call the system administrator. However, this also allows every user to accidentally change or delete files in one of the old backups. Making a backup immutable protects you against all these problems. Unless you happen to run into a virus that was specifically programmed to attack S3QL file systems, backups can be neither deleted nor changed after they have been made immutable. OPTIONS
The s3qllock command accepts the following options: --debug activate debugging output --quiet be really quiet --version just print program version and exit EXIT STATUS
s3qllock returns exit code 0 if the operation succeeded and 1 if some error occurred. SEE ALSO
The S3QL homepage is at http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/. The full S3QL documentation should also be installed somewhere on your system, common locations are /usr/share/doc/s3ql or /usr/local/doc/s3ql. COPYRIGHT
2008-2011, Nikolaus Rath 1.11.1 August 27, 2014 S3QLLOCK(1)