Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying to get mail working on a Linux machine Post 302291776 by sllinux on Thursday 26th of February 2009 10:03:34 AM
Old 02-26-2009
Trying to get mail working on a Linux machine

I tried using the mail command on one of our Linux machines to send email, and it works fine. I tried using the same command on another one of our Linux machines, and it didn't work (no error message was returned either).

The machine that works has the following version information:
Code:
esgbuild@bbox003:/etc$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.12 (root@Knoppix) (gcc-Version 3.3.6 (Debian 1:3.3.6-7)) #2 SMP Tue Aug 9 23:20:52 CEST 2005
esgbuild@bbox003:/etc$ uname -a
Linux bbox003 2.6.12 #2 SMP Tue Aug 9 23:20:52 CEST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

The machine that does not work has the following version information:
Code:
root@masterd:/opt/automate# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.18-6-686 (Debian 2.6.18.dfsg.1-23etch1) (dannf@debian.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)) #1 SMP Fri Dec 12 16:48:28 UTC 2008
root@masterd:/opt/automate# uname -a
Linux masterd 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 12 16:48:28 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Can anyone tell me where I might look to see why the one machine can't send email? What configuration files I might want to look at? Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup mail server on my unix machine

hi, i just finished installation solaris 8 on my unix machine. i want to setup a mail server on it ( i assume it has not had one yet). so, what is my first step? where can i find out step by step configuration procedure on web ? so any expert is willing to teach me? pls help me. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: champion
1 Replies

2. Linux

How to set up mail server in Linux machine

Hi, I have a desktop on which linux is installed. It is connected to office LAN. I am able to send mails(using the 'mail' command) to anybody who is connected to the linux machine. But I am not able to send mails to internet IDs. Please inform, what do I have to do to enable mailing to internet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek_ss
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Link type between working machine and server machine

There are two servers where my machine is connected. Is there any type of link formed between my machine and server machine? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palash2k
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH into a linux machine from a windows machine

I basically want to login into different linux machines( on the same network) from a windows machine. I know i can use ssh <machine name>. But i want to automate this process. I dont want to enter the username and password. Is there any way to do it. Can i make some sort of a batch script for it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP

I need a shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP. The files keeps changing day-to-day. I have to copy the latest file to the windows machine frm the linux machine. for example :In Linux, On July 20, the file name will be 20.txt and it should be copied to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin6034
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

no command is not working to send a mail in linux redhot server

HI All, I am facing the problem with rmail ... Actually my server is linux environment Redhot server. To send a mail which command I have to use it . I want subject and I want to Include CC also And body of the mail also there . But If I use rmail command it is not taking any options to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksrivani
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have a requirement to check whose accounts are expired in Linux machine and send a mail to root

I have a requirement to check whose accounts are expired in Linux machine and send a mail to root user about the accounts. How can i achieve this in Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
1 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Cygwin application not working on my machine.

I have windows XP machine. Today i have tried to install Cygwin, I've downloaded all the packages then ran the setup. It's showed completed. But when i try to open this it's not working. Do i need to do anything extra for this..? Please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pamu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SWAP command not working on Linux machine

Hi I am working on linux machine and swap command is not working Linux Machine On Solaris machine it is working fine: uname -a SunOS rgsm01 5.9 Generic_118558-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 swap -s total: 6596320k bytes allocated + 1035968k reserved = 7632288k used, 38893408k available ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Basant Mishra
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Network of Virtual machine not working

Hello, I have a problem. I have a server SPARC T3-1 with solaris 11 on the base. The server is working well. And then i did a virtual machine using again Solaris 11 to do this, but now my notwork on my virtual machine is not working anymore. There says that the network that i have created is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: keziacp
11 Replies
UNAME(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  UNAME(2)

NAME
uname - get name and information about current kernel SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/utsname.h> int uname(struct utsname *buf); DESCRIPTION
uname returns system information in the structure pointed to by buf. The utsname struct is defined in <sys/utsname.h>: struct utsname { char sysname[]; char nodename[]; char release[]; char version[]; char machine[]; #ifdef _GNU_SOURCE char domainname[]; #endif }; The length of the arrays in a struct utsname is unspecified; the fields are NUL-terminated. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT buf is not valid. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, SVID, POSIX, X/OPEN. There is no uname call in BSD 4.3. The domainname member (the NIS or YP domain name) is a GNU extension. NOTES
This is a system call, and the operating system presumably knows its name, release and version. It also knows what hardware it runs on. So, four of the fields of the struct are meaningful. On the other hand, the field nodename is meaningless: it gives the name of the present machine in some undefined network, but typically machines are in more than one network and have several names. Moreover, the kernel has no way of knowing about such things, so it has to be told what to answer here. The same holds for the additional domainname field. To this end Linux uses the system calls sethostname(2) and setdomainname(2). Note that there is no standard that says that the hostname set by sethostname(2) is the same string as the nodename field of the struct returned by uname (indeed, some systems allow a 256-byte host- name and an 8-byte nodename), but this is true on Linux. The same holds for setdomainname(2) and the domainname field. The length of the fields in the struct varies. Some operating systems or libraries use a hardcoded 9 or 33 or 65 or 257. Other systems use SYS_NMLN or _SYS_NMLN or UTSLEN or _UTSNAME_LENGTH. Clearly, it is a bad idea to use any of these constants - just use sizeof(...). Often 257 is chosen in order to have room for an internet hostname. There have been three Linux system calls uname(). The first one used length 9, the second one used 65, the third one also uses 65 but adds the domainname field. Part of the utsname information is also accessible via sysctl and via /proc/sys/kernel/{ostype, hostname, osrelease, version, domainname}. SEE ALSO
uname(1), getdomainname(2), gethostname(2) Linux 2.5.0 2001-12-15 UNAME(2)