Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read textfile and enter the values in array Post 302291174 by luna_soleil on Wednesday 25th of February 2009 12:04:36 AM
Old 02-25-2009
Read textfile and enter the values in array

Hi,

I want to put values in .txt file into array. Example :

$vi repo.txt
abc
def
ghi
jkl
mno
pqr

i want the output to be like this:
$echo ${mydf[1]}
abc
$echo ${mydf[2]}
def
$echo ${mydf[3]}
ghi
$echo ${mydf[4]}
jkl
$echo ${mydf[5]}
mno
$echo ${mydf[6]}
pqr

my script:
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6
do
read mydf[$i] < repo.txt
print "mydf[$i] value is ${mydf[i]}"
done

What's wrong with my script? cuz anytime I echo ${mydf[1]}, I got empty output.. not abc...

Please helppp Smilie

Thanks Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the ENTER key

Hi , I do the following : ]echo "Do you want to say yes or no ?(y/n):\c" read ans here 'n' is the default value.that means if the user press ENTER key then it should be 'n' . Now how do i know that the user has pressed ENTER key.What will be stored in my variable 'ans'. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read unique values in array

Hi Friends, I am having some trouble reading into an array. Basically, I am trying to grep for a pattern and extract it's value and store the same into an array. For eg., if my input is: <L:RECORD>name=faisel farooq,age=21, company=TCS,project=BT</L:RECORD> <L:RECORD>name=abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faiz1985
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Extracting and Coverting values from a K12 Textfile (Wireshark capture)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Using the Windows version of Wireshark, record at least 100 entries of normal network traffic (in a file). Pick 2 packets and analyze the contents showing the header and data information (ie what port #, service etc). You can use the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KKWL
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using read to enter the input at runtime

Hi I am stucked in the below script .I want to input with yes/no from the user and then execute the code inside if but it is not working .I just need the logic as where I am wrong so that i can use the same in my work . then echo "Hi All" fi ]. Please suugest . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables names from array and assign the values

Hi, I have requirement to assign values to variables which are created dynamically. Below is the code which i am using to achieve above requirement. #!/bin/ksh oIFS="$IFS"; IFS=',' STR_FAIL_PARENT_IF_FAILS="WF_F_P_IF_FAILS1,WF_F_P_IF_FAILS2,WF_F_P_IF_FAILS3" set -A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search strings from array in textfile

I am wanting to take a list of strings and loop through a list of textfiles to find matches. Preferably with awk and parsing the search strings into an array. // Search_strings.txt tag string dummy stuff things // List of files to search in textfile1.txt textfile2.txt The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to prompt the user to enter an array in tcsh

Hello, I am writing a script that requires the user to enter a string of numbers: ex: 134 345 865 903 This command only allows for one variable to be entered: set "var" = $< and than once I got the array I want to change it to a list with each input on a different line: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smarones
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read values and store in array?

I am reading a value from a file and want to store the value in a dynamic array as i don't know the number of occurrences of the value in that file. How can i do that and then later fetch that value from array (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prachi Gupta
25 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate sorte different characters from one textfile and copy them in a new textfile?

My first post, so don't kill me :) Say i open some textfile with some example like this. on the table are handy, bread and wine Now i know exactly what is in and i want to separate and sorted it in terminal to an existing file with another 2 existing lines in like this: table plane ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: schwatter
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How To Read a File and Assign the line values to an Array?

i have this basic code that i wrote to read a file and place it's values to an array. the source/input file will have multiple strings on it that is separated by a whitespace. sample_list.txt file contents: ACCT1 TABLE1 ACCT2 TABLE2 ACCT3 TABLE3 script file: sample_list.sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
3 Replies
Char(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   Char(3)

NAME
PDL::Char -- PDL subclass which allows reading and writing of fixed-length character strings as byte PDLs SYNOPSIS
use PDL; use PDL::Char; my $pchar = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $pchar->setstr(1,0,'foo'); print $pchar; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'foo' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] print $pchar->atstr(2,0); # Prints: # ghi DESCRIPTION
This subclass of PDL allows one to manipulate PDLs of 'byte' type as if they were made of fixed length strings, not just numbers. This type of behavior is useful when you want to work with charactar grids. The indexing is done on a string level and not a character level for the 'setstr' and 'atstr' commands. This module is in particular useful for writing NetCDF files that include character data using the PDL::NetCDF module. FUNCTIONS
new Function to create a byte PDL from a string, list of strings, list of list of strings, etc. # create a new PDL::Char from a perl array of strings $strpdl = PDL::Char->new( ['abc', 'def', 'ghij'] ); # Convert a PDL of type 'byte' to a PDL::Char $strpdl1 = PDL::Char->new (sequence (byte, 4, 5)+99); $pdlchar3d = PDL::Char->new([['abc','def','ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']]); string Function to print a character PDL (created by 'char') in a pretty format. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] # 'string' is overloaded to the "" operator, so: # print $char; # should have the same effect. setstr Function to set one string value in a character PDL. The input position is the position of the string, not a character in the string. The first dimension is assumed to be the length of the string. The input string will be null-padded if the string is shorter than the first dimension of the PDL. It will be truncated if it is longer. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $char->setstr(0,1, 'foobar'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] $char->setstr(2,1, 'f'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'f'] -> note that this 'f' is stored "f" # ] atstr Function to fetch one string value from a PDL::Char type PDL, given a position within the PDL. The input position of the string, not a character in the string. The length of the input string is the implied first dimension. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char->atstr(0,1); # Prints: # jkl perl v5.8.0 2001-05-27 Char(3)