Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to maintain wildcard array variable Post 302291167 by luna_soleil on Tuesday 24th of February 2009 11:04:03 PM
Old 02-25-2009
How to maintain wildcard array variable

Hi all,

I have this scenario where:-

The file that I want to save its name into array df[1] is my.08120323.trx which is located in the dir as below:

$ pwd

/u01/abc/def/SRC_datafiles

$ ls *trx

my.08120323.trx

$ df[1]=*"trx" ##keeping the filename my.08120323.trx into df[1]

$ echo ${df[1]}

my.08120323.trx ##getting the correct full output

I want df[1] content - my.08120323.trx to be maintained in any directory that I go.. example in below directory.. but I only got *trx value as below when I echo ${df[1]} when I go this directory:

$ cd ../..

$ pwd

/u01/abc

$ echo ${df[1]}

*trx ##this is not the output that i expected.. i want it to show my.08120323.trx

$

How do I maintain the value of df[1] to be my.08120323.trx instead of only *trx in any directory I go?

Please shed some light.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array help (variable substitution).

I am using an array (clmlist01). I have 61 of these and have 4 or more references to each one in a block of code that I do not want to have to hardcode. With that being said, I am creating a varible and going through a for loop to create the actually name of each array. The arrays would end up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to maintain the content of array in any directory I go?

Hi all, I have this scenario where:- The file that I want to save its name into array df is my.08120323.trx which is located in the dir as below: $ pwd /u01/abc/def/SRC_datafiles $ ls *trx my.08120323.trx $ df=*"trx" ##keeping the filename... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls wildcard output to a variable

I am new to shell programming, i have a requierement to assign a file name into a variable. for ex: the file name are below 603_2009_09_24_34.csv 702_2009_10_25_10.csv for ex: i need to get the file 603_2009_09_24_34.csv but first 3 didgits are fixed but rest of the digits are not below is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devendar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing wildcard parameters to find via a variable

I have a script to fix permissions which is made up of blocks like: FS_ROOT=/home/shared/Photos FS_EXCLUDE=( \( -path */.webviews -o -path */.thumbnails \) -prune -o ) find $FS_ROOT ${FS_EXCLUDE} -type d -not -perm 2770 -exec chmod 2770 "{}" \; That fragment works as expected, but no matter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign value to array variable

Hi, I have a piece of code as follows: i=0 while read LINE do var = "$LINE" i=$((i+1)) echo "${var}" done < file I want to assign value to the array var. However, when i execute the script i get a error. Please can you help me know what i am missing. I ultimately want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a wildcard in a variable

Hi There I am new to scripting and require some assistance please. I am trying to define a variable with a wildcard in a shell script (.ksh) that will be run on AIX 5300-10. The variable I am trying is: FILES=LLA_*.CSVWhen I run the following section of the script: scp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Split lines into array - variable line items - variable no of lines.

Hi, I have the following lines that I would like to see in an array for easy comparisons and printing: Example 1: field1,field2,field3,field4,field5 value1,value2,value3,value4,value5Example 2: field1,field3,field4,field2,field5,field6,field7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maintain Scope of the variable in UNIX

Hi All Is there is any way to maintain the scope of the variable in unix Example x=1 j=1 while do .. .... .... while do .. .. x=x+1 done #inner most while loop ends here done #outer loop ends here (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable inside array?

I tried to use variable inside an array variable, but its not working as expected.:wall: ENV1=123 ENV1=789 ENV1=120 ENV2=567 if then name=ENV1 echo "${name}" echo "${name}" echo "${name}" else name=ENV1 echo "${name}" fi Output: ./val.sh 1 123 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayavinoth
2 Replies