Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mksysb Equivalent For Linux?
Operating Systems Linux Mksysb Equivalent For Linux? Post 302290623 by allanhubbert on Monday 23rd of February 2009 08:09:40 PM
Old 02-23-2009
This may be true but it misses the heart of the matter, the ability to create a bootable backup of a linux system allowing the complete restore of the system to the same as it was when the backup was taken. Disks do not last forever and not everyone has the ability to install 2 disks and run a mirrored configuration. I can not speak for other versions but Fedora Core does provide an excellent raid 1 setup at the time of install. Its what I run only because there is no mksysb equivalent that I am aware of. If one disk fails then the system will continue to run and I can replace that disk at a time that is convenient to me. This is something that the developers or creators of the various versions of linux should consider doing and imbedding into their releases or adding as an update to existing releases. In AIX, its a script. I believe it is do-able but I don't have the skills. The linux community should push the developers for such a tool with both tape and dvd as the backup media. In AIX, I can create a bootable backup to either tape or DVD. I usually use tape but I can use both, boot from DVD and then point to tape for the restore of the OS. I might add that the same mksysb boot stops at a menu and one option will allow some repair work to be performed if there is filesystem corruption or jfs2 log problems that prevent a system boot. Linux has done a lot of maturing in the last 15 years and its making inroads into the windows community (its even become windows like). In order to become the dominant operating system, it needs more user friendly tools. One has to remember that the vast majority of windows users are computer illiterate and knowledgeable on a few applications which they use all the time. (Browser, video player, look at photos etc) Few can actually do anything of value at an OS level so linux has to be the same. You can not create a bootable backup of windows that I am aware of so a tool like this becomes a real plus. In discussions about Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, two of the positive comments that people say about AIX are SMIT and mksysb. (IBM, btw, has licensed SMIT to other vendors). I push this mksysb idea because its the right direction to be headed.

Last edited by allanhubbert; 02-23-2009 at 09:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

windows startup equivalent in linux

hi all, greetings, please tell me how to start a java GUI program in the startup of the machine. since it invokes a GUI is it possiable to entry the same in /etc/rc2.d/S99userdefinedfiles. thanks in advance ., :-) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
1 Replies

2. Linux

Linux equivalent for daemon2

Hi all... In my Unix system a program exists called "daemon2" which is responsible to enqueue program executions. For example, if I want to make the system to enqueue lpr executions for certain users, I call daemon2 with lpr as the parameter. Is there an equivalent in Linux? Thanks Jaime (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstuardo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ufsdump equivalent in linux and unix

Hi all, I am preparing for a worst case scenario. Say i have a production server A, should A fails ( for whatever reason), i want another server B to take over. How can i move everything from A to B? Assuming i have regular backup of A. I've searched in the forums, and briefly came across... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Equivalent for iostat -e in AIX HP-UX Linux

iostat -e gives the soft, hard and transport error information in Solaris. What is the equivalent command in the other flavors of Unix AIX HP Linux. Thanks Prasi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasi_in
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

hp-ux mksysb equivalent

Hi Guys, Does hp-ux has mksysb equivalent with aix? Or something similar that you can save the system config. Or you just backup the boot image, that's it. Thanks in advance, itik (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

6. Linux

Linux equivalent for...

I moved to a Linux system from Windows a few months ago. Most of the programs I had been using were already native to Linux (Firefox, the GIMP, Pari, etc.) and most others I found a close enough program (Crimson Editor -> gedit, Visual Studio -> KDevelop, Primo -> Morain's ECPP). Now I'm down... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
1 Replies

7. Programming

WSAAsyncSelect equivalent for linux

Hello, I'm writing a multi-threaded socket server in C++ and I needed something like wsaasyncselect to handle messages like fd_accept, fd_read, fd_connect, fd_close. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucastonon
2 Replies

8. Linux

/etc/netmasks equivalent in linux

Hi Guys, I am used to configuring DHCP on Solaris and foreach subnet added I place a corresponding entry in /etc/netmasks. I am now looking at configuring DHCP on linux, is there an equivalnet entry required somewhere or is this not needed in linux Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

NFS_v4_fail_over_timeout equivalent in Linux

Hi, I need to mount a replicated nfs4 export on a number of AIX and Redhat hosts. To get the failover on the clients working smoothly, I need to change certain values on the AIX boxes like nfs_v4_fail_over_timeout, timeo and retrans values. Since I have no clue about Linux, I am not quite sure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Linux equivalent for UNIX

I have a folder called "log" which has a few sub-folders say "fda" "fd7" "fdd" "fd6 .... " I wish to fire the below command inside each subfolder starting with the folder with the latest time stamp. grep "$greptime.*exit" Prod.$(hostname).log | grep $fdrdate_new If the seach did not yield... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
idevicebackup2(1)					      General Commands Manual						 idevicebackup2(1)

NAME
idevicebackup2 - Create or restore backup for iDevices running iOS4+. SYNOPSIS
idevicebackup2 [OPTIONS] CMD [CMDOPTIONS] DIRECTORY DESCRIPTION
Create or restore backup from the current or specified directory. OPTIONS
-u, --uuid UUID target specific device by its 40-digit device UUID. -d, --debug enable communication debugging. -h, --help prints usage information. COMMANDS
backup create backup for the device. restore restore last backup to the device. --system restore system files, too. --reboot reboot the system when done. --copy create a copy of backup folder before restoring. --settings restore device settings from the backup. info show details about last completed backup of device. list list files of last completed backup in CSV format. unback unpack a completed backup in DIRECTORY/_unback_/. AUTHORS
Martin Szulecki Nikias Bassen SEE ALSO
idevicebackup(1) idevicebackup2(1)