Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Doubts about timers in linux kernel Post 302290482 by Neo on Monday 23rd of February 2009 11:52:12 AM
Old 02-23-2009
(moved to C programming forum).

Please post your existing code.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

unix and timers

Hello there.. I need to know when i start indipendant timers how can i recognize which of the active timers have made timeout alarm. The number of started timers depends on the running app I'd appreciate your help Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightcat
0 Replies

2. Programming

Doubts About C Compiler In Unix/linux

As all of you know whenever a program "say a.c" is complied in linux using the gcc or the cc compiler..it shows the list of errors ( if the program contains any).. i want to modify the compier script so as to list the no of errors only and not the description about the error..like" parse error " ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vrs
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

qmail configuration in redhat linux - doubts

hi, How to Install & configure the qmail in redhat linux? and also how to get the free qmail package? I know the sendmail configuration in redhat linux. What is the features of qmail compared with sendmail? Regards, Jones (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jones_linux
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Few doubts on Linux scripting

1) I have to create 3 scripts which create different output files. Script one creates datafiles, script2 creates control files and script3 creates flg files. The business wants the same timestamp to be attached to all the files created by these scripts. Script1- Create data files - Data files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maya_Pillai
2 Replies

5. Programming

pthread_mutex_timedlock and Timers option

in its man-page pthread_mutex_timedlock documents that the absolute timeout parameter should be based on the CLOCK_REALTIME clock or in the system clock. All this depending on whether the 'Timers option' is supported or not. What do they mean by 'Timers option'? How could I tell for sure what... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramestica
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Question Regarding Timers and Output

Hi there. I am fairly new to scripting in BASH so please forgive my clumsy syntax and analogy as I try to explain what I am trying to accomplish. I have a list of mundane functions that I currently call from a script file. What I wish to do is to accurately record into a log file the times that... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tenuous
17 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux kernel modules makefiles doubts

This query is regarding the makefiles of linux kernel modules. I saw at some sites on net it is suggesting to include the following path: KERNEL_SOURCE := /usr/src/linux... while at some places it is askibg to include /lib/modules path: KERNEL_SOURCE := /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies
HZ(9)							   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						     HZ(9)

NAME
hz, tick, tickadj, stathz, profhz -- system time model SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/kernel.h> extern int hz; extern int tick; extern int tickadj; extern int stathz; extern int profhz; DESCRIPTION
The essential clock handling routines in NetBSD are written to operate with two timers that run independently of each other. The main clock, running hz times per second, is used to keep track of real time. In another words, hz specifies the number of times the hardclock(9) timer ticks per second. Normally hardclock(9) increments time by tick each time it is called. If the system clock has drifted, adjtime(2) may be used to skew this increment based on the rate of tickadj. The second timer is used to gather timing statistics. It also handles kernel and user profiling. If the second timer is programmable, it is randomized to avoid aliasing between the two clocks. The mean frequency of the second timer is stathz. If a separate clock is not avail- able, stathz is set to hz. If profiling is enabled, the clock normally used to drive stathz may be run at a higher rate profhz, which is required to be a multiple of stathz. This will give higher resolution profiling information. These system variables are also available as struct clockinfo from sysctl(3) and kern.clockrate from sysctl(8). The hz is hardware-depen- dent; it can be overridden (if the machine dependent code supports this) by defining HZ in the kernel configuration file (see options(4)). Only override the default value if you really know what you are doing. SEE ALSO
adjtime(2), callout(9), hardclock(9), microtime(9), time_second(9) BSD
March 25, 2010 BSD