Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Who are all logged out
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Who are all logged out Post 302290290 by ggayathri on Monday 23rd of February 2009 01:08:19 AM
Old 02-23-2009
Who are all logged out

I have a situation where I have to capture information of all users who log out, along with the terminal info(tty command).
For example, I may have logged in with /dev/pts/2 as well as /dev/pts4.
Now, when I log out of the session with /dev/pts/2, I need that to be sent in an email to a particular email id. Similarly, when the same user id, logs out of /dev/pts/4 also, a similar email needs to be sent, instead of just sending "User id ... has logged out". This way, all the multiple sessions of a user id can be tracked.

Can anyone help me with a script for this?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is user logged on??

How can i check to see if a user is logged on to the network? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: provo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

know who logged and logged out with their timings

being ordinary user (not having any administrative rights) can avail myself a facility to know who logged and logged out with their timings get popped onto my terminal as if it get echo 'ed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkandati
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

last logged on info

Hi how can I know the details of when valid system users last logged on? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last time logged in

Working in AIX (so no date -d) How can i display all the users who have not logged in for more than 40 days? A small quick script would be usefull, my scripts are always taking to long to execute, even before they are finished. Many thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ughosting
5 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

logged out users

how to find out users who logged out within 5 minutes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roshni
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

su ?? Who logged in First ??

Hi all, Say my login user id is "t007" and I login into the unix server first using my id and password and then I used to use "su" command to switch the user using root user id and password. Now, how the third person will come to know who has logged in as a first user ? As: Login: t007... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

7. Programming

logged in or logged out?

I have wrote a service with c++ which is always run and now I want to get with it the exact time in that the user log in or log out and then run a script. but the problem is that how could i find that the user logged in or logged out with out checking something frequently? thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrhosseini
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

who logged in

Hi friends I want to get a list of users who have logged in before 10 'o clock in the morning on a given date . I tried with who and last commands but last gives only the last login time How do i find who logged before 10 'o clock Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last user logged in

hi! How can I find into: /var/log/messages.4 /var/log/messages.3 /var/log/messages.2 /var/log/messages.1 /var/log/messages The last user do a login? (for example user1) My idea is to search by the pattern "Accepted password for" buy I necessary search into all files first and in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guif
2 Replies
PTS(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    PTS(4)

NAME
ptmx, pts - pseudo-terminal master and slave DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/ptmx is a character file with major number 5 and minor number 2, usually of mode 0666 and owner.group of root.root. It is used to create a pseudo-terminal master and slave pair. When a process opens /dev/ptmx, it gets a file descriptor for a pseudo-terminal master (PTM), and a pseudo-terminal slave (PTS) device is created in the /dev/pts directory. Each file descriptor obtained by opening /dev/ptmx is an independent PTM with its own associated PTS, whose path can be found by passing the descriptor to ptsname(3). Before opening the pseudo-terminal slave, you must pass the master's file descriptor to grantpt(3) and unlockpt(3). Once both the pseudo-terminal master and slave are open, the slave provides processes with an interface that is identical to that of a real terminal. Data written to the slave is presented on the master descriptor as input. Data written to the master is presented to the slave as input. In practice, pseudo-terminals are used for implementing terminal emulators such as xterm(1), in which data read from the pseudo-terminal master is interpreted by the application in the same way a real terminal would interpret the data, and for implementing remote-login pro- grams such as sshd(8), in which data read from the pseudo-terminal master is sent across the network to a client program that is connected to a terminal or terminal emulator. Pseudo-terminals can also be used to send input to programs that normally refuse to read input from pipes (such as su(1), and passwd(1)). FILES
/dev/ptmx, /dev/pts/* NOTES
The Linux support for the above (known as Unix98 pty naming) is done using the devpts file system, that should be mounted on /dev/pts. Before this Unix98 scheme, master ptys were called /dev/ptyp0, ... and slave ptys /dev/ttyp0, ... and one needed lots of preallocated device nodes. SEE ALSO
getpt(3), grantpt(3), ptsname(3), unlockpt(3), pty(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2002-10-09 PTS(4)