Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help loading a program into perl from a file on desktop Post 302290258 by silkiechicken on Sunday 22nd of February 2009 06:29:58 PM
Old 02-22-2009
Help loading a program into perl from a file on desktop

So I want to use this program that I have downloaded from: PaGE - Patters from Gene Expression

However, I am not sure how to actually get in to and run the program... I can log into the server, and was assuming I needed to get the "PaGE_5.1.6.pl" file into a folder some how, but not sure how to do it.

I tried opening the txt doc and copy and pasting it's contents into a perl file after opening a vi file, but it made the computer beep and buzz out in error, and didn't paste anything into the file.

I tried looking around the site to for them to guide me in to how I would actually get the program "installed" but no luck so far.

If someone can give me some pointers on how to get the thing installed, that would be great. I have a hard enough time installing things on windows right, so this command line stuff baffles me. Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help fix my garbage - File Split Program in Perl

Hi, I have the following, it doesn't work and I know it's crap code. The objective is to split a file with a givin number of codes such as: 01,02,03,...,99 Then return all records with each seperate identifier in a new file. The files being split have lrecl=500, recfm=F, and I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loading variables - Perl

I'm trying to load a set of variables as defined by a local configuration file. Not too sure what I'm missing so I'll just post it as a whole. blub.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $config_file="blub.config"; Config_Loader(); sub Config_Loader {... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string and sending it into a new file in perl program

Hi, I have a input file with following values (test.out) I would like to grep all lines with word 'PANIC' and sent it another file using perl program with grep command. I have been trying different ways and not working. Pls advice. Thanks a lot for the help. --example--... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from config file and use it in perl program

Hi, I want to configure some values in config file like below work_dir /home/work csv_dir /home/csv sql_dir /home/sqls reportfirst yes and i want to store each value in variable to use it further in my my perl program ?? any thought on this(i am new to perl) ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.nsn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Program: How to FTP logs from a Server to Desktop

Hi guys, Good day! Anyone there could suggest on how can I create a program that will get (ftp) the logs I need from a remote Server (running in Linux) into my Desktop (running in Windows 7). For Perl program suggestions, FYI that I'm using Active Perl version. The reason why I need this one is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
2 Replies

6. Programming

Perl : Inline program to determine file size

Hi, I have 5 files as below $ ll sam* -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Mar 21 06:06 sam3 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Apr 3 22:41 sam2 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 17335 Apr 10 06:07 sam1 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 5 Apr 10 07:53 sam5 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 661 Apr 10 08:16 sam4 I want to list out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl program for find one entry and put in different file

Hi I have a file name1 xxxxx name1 xxxxx name1 yyyyy name 1 zzzzz name1 Uniprot Id 1234 name2 sssss name2 eeeee name2 bengamine name2 Uniprot Id 3456 ......................and so on I have to capture Uniprot IDs only in a separate file so that output contain only ... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
20 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in loading program correctly using SSH and X11 forwading

I'm trying to load a program remotely using SSH with X11 forwarding. I have no issue with loading xwindows and programs like firefox works fine. But one software that I use for my work has some issues when I load it up. For example, I can't see the pull-down menus etc, which show up when I load it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
1 Replies

9. Fedora

Nvidia Module Not Loading (Desktop Gone)

Well, I followed the steps in the Debian wiki here to install the drivers for the following video card: $ lspci | grep VGA 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF104 (rev a1)I confirmed the correct driver is installed. As you probably see I've tried this a few times and a few... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Azrael
1 Replies
DESKTOP-FILE-VALIDATE(1)				      General Commands Manual					  DESKTOP-FILE-VALIDATE(1)

NAME
desktop-file-validate - Validate desktop entry files SYNOPSIS
desktop-file-validate [--no-warn-deprecated] [--warn-kde] FILE... DESCRIPTION
The desktop-file-validate program is a tool to validate desktop entry files according to the Desktop Entry specification 1.0. The specification describes a file format to provide information such as name, icon and description for an application. Such a file can then be used as an application launcher and to display the application in the applications menu. For information about the Desktop Entry specification, see http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-entry-spec. The desktop entry files are commonly called desktop files. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --no-warn-deprecated Do not warn about usage of deprecated items that were defined in previous versions of the specification. --warn-kde Warn about usage of KDE extensions to the specification. This includes the use of the KDE Desktop Entry group, of the ServiceTypes, DocPath, Keywords, InitialPreference, Dev, FSType, MountPoint, ReadOnly, UnmountIcon keys, or of the Service, ServiceType and FSDe- vice types. BUGS
If you find bugs in the desktop-file-validate program, please report these on https://bugs.freedesktop.org. SEE ALSO
desktop-file-edit(1) desktop-file-install(1) FREEDESKTOP.ORG DESKTOP-FILE-VALIDATE(1)