Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pax help
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users pax help Post 302289903 by vgersh99 on Friday 20th of February 2009 05:17:02 PM
Old 02-20-2009
look into 'man pax'.
Code:
pax -rpe -f /path2oracle.tar -s :^/opt/oracle/10.2:/tmp:g

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retain text using pax

I have a .tar file consisting of text and binary files. I ftp'd the .tar file using ftp binary. when I did the pax to unwind the tar file, I noiticed that the text files were encoded in binary. **How would I retain the text characteristics of the ascii text files, while also keeping the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: idic5
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris and PAX

I am having trouble with the pax command on Saris. I want to sue it to untar a file to a different directory. So if mytar.tar conatins files that were in /u02/mydir/mydir2/mydir3, I want to untar them to /export/home/mydir. An example I have is: pax -r -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

3. AIX

PAX error on retrieving from tape

Hi, I am using AIX 5.3.0.0 and Ultrium LTO3 Tape Drive as rmt1. I have backup some of my database file using command "pax" as pax -wvf /dev/rmt1 "./data01/abc.dmp" But when I tried to read the file from tape by issuing the command, pax -vf /dev/rmt1 The error message displayed as pax:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
4 Replies

4. AIX

Backup with Pax command. How to verify tape?

Dear all experts online, In my environment of AIX 5300-07, I am currently using "pax" command to backup all filesystems that I need to backup and it will take me around 4 hours time with LTO3 tape drive. When I need to verify the tape after backup, I am using "pax" command to list all files in... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pax me out

hi I am using this command pax -f /Unix/codes/code.tar -r -s::/Unix/archive: objective is to transfer tar file /Unix/codes/code.tar to /Unix/archive with untarring done . For this reason i am using pax and not tar -xvf as we cant specify untarred destination in that the problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
2 Replies

6. AIX

Can a pax backup in AIX be restored into Linux?

Dear all experts, I would like to know if a pax command backup of AIX files can be restored into Linux environment run in Wintel server? Currently I have a Full database backup using "pax" command in AIX box(IBM pSeries), the new management decison of the new server is on Wintel server which is... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between 'pax', 'tar', and cpio

Could any one please help me in understanding the difference between pax,tar and cpio. all of them basically creates archive files. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshi123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tar/pax

Hi, I have tar ball "data.tar" which consists of many files from different directories. If I untar a file using following command, it will untar file to location /input/data tar -xvf data.tar /input/data/abc.txt I want the file to be untar in current directory and or any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Email notifications of PAX backups

I have just switched my production server from using the br_backup script that uses fbackup to the fs_backup script that uses PAX. Things seem to work fine and test restores are successful, but I'm not getting a daily e-mail with the backup results that I used to get from the br_backup script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jduehmig
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using pax to restore into current directory?

Hello, I have a tape backup (it was made using dd/tar) and I want to use dd/pax to restore tape to disk, in IBM AIX 7.2. I can restore from tape using example below without issues. #/usr/bin/dd bs=128k if=/dev/rmt0 | /usr/bin/pax -r -v /home/c3rb3rus/utils/* USTAR format archive... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
6 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)