Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FSTAB Problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FSTAB Problem Post 302289731 by vbe on Friday 20th of February 2009 10:07:25 AM
Old 02-20-2009
man fstab:
Each file-system entry must contain a device special file and may
additionally contain all of the following fields, in the following
order:

directory

type

options

backup frequency

pass number (on parallel fsck)

comment

So what you wrote for fstab will not work...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/fstab

I've created a new drive and i've added it to my fstab file but on startup it will not mount. here is how i put it into my fstab file, is that right? /dev/hdb2 /disk2a ext3 defaults 1 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

bdf , /etc/fstab , /etc/mnttab

Hi all, Would like to know if it is possible to rearrange the order that mounts are displayed when the 'bdf' command is issued. An example of what I mean is, currently I see the following ... $ bdf -l Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol3 524288 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
6 Replies

3. Linux

Parameter to edit in /etc/fstab in RH 8.0

Hi All, In RH 8.0, I am not able to mount USB pendrive. I know one method where in /etc/fstab is to be edited, so that it points to a directory /mnt/usb. After that it mount automatically. Unfortunately, i have forgotten the parameter to add in /etc/fstab-can anyone help me please? Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptlearner
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab question

Folks; Please be patient with this issue when you read it. I know it's a little tricky. I have a new share created on my SUSE 10 box. I'm trying to edit the /etc/fstab file or find a way to make this share needs no authentication. The reason for that is we're using an outside application to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Using a variable in fstab

We have a load of servers which require cloning in VMWare, each of which have their own area on netapp for storage. I was trying to be a bit clever and use a variable within /etc/fstab so I dont need to edit it every time like so; netapp:/vol/vol_nfs_server/servers/`hostname | sed 's/\./ /g' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab

hi , i'm creating a shell script using fstab for my project of last year, i wonder you can help me to know what is the command allow me to get the list of unmounted partitions. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux001
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

fstab question

I have created a thumbdrive with a bootable version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it uses Grub legacy. One of the issues I have is that everytime I boot a new system from the thumbdrive, it writes entries for the partitions in the fstab. Consequently, when I boot another system, the OS reads the fstab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Mount /etc/fstab

Can you please help me mount below filesystem in fstab ( I have rhel 5 ) as the line is long - it is not taking as single line How can break this in 2 line and act as one ....please help ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

9. Linux

/etc/fstab entries

Hi, Can anyone explain why we use defaults 0 0 in fstab and what does 0 inidicate 10.250.104.50:/home/u /home/u nfs defaults 0 0 Thanks in advance Muzaffar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace value in fstab file?

Hi, I am looking to replace value (fifth and sixth ) column to "0 0" in /etc/fstab file by scripting. can any one please help me. /dev/VolGroup00/tmp /tmp ext3 defaults 1 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
2 Replies
fstab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  fstab(4)

NAME
fstab - static information about the file systems SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an ASCII file that resides in directory contains a list of mountable file-system entries. Each file-system entry appears on a separate line, and consists of fields separated by one or more blanks or tabs. The order of entries in is important only for entries without a pass number field. Entries without a pass number are sequentially checked by (see fsck(1M)) after the entries with a pass number have been checked. Each file-system entry must contain a device special file and may additionally contain all of the following fields, in the following order: directory type options backup frequency pass number (on parallel comment If any field after the name of the device special file is present, all fields must be present in the order indicated, to ensure correct place-holding. Entries from this file are accessed using (see getmntent(3X)). The fields are separated by white space, and a as the first non-whitespace character in an entry or field indicates a comment. device special file A block device special file name. This field is used by and other commands to identify the location of the storage device on which the file system resides. If type is this entry is ignored since a block device is not required for a memory file system. directory Name of the root of the mounted file system that corresponds to the device special file. If type is there is no corre- sponding device special file; directory is the root of the memory based file system. If type is directory can be the name of any directory within a file system. Only one directory should be specified per file system. directory must already exist and must be given as an absolute path name. type Can be or a file system type (for example, or If type is the device special file is made available as an area of swap space by the command (see swapon(1M)). The options field is valid. The fields directory, pass number, and backup frequency are ignored for entries. If type is the file system in which directory resides is made available as swap space by The options field is valid. The fields device special file, pass number, and backup frequency are ignored for entries. If type is the device special file field is ignored; the corresponding entry displayed in is Additionally, if type is will skip the entry even for matches of directory, if a different type is specified to If type is the device special file is made available as an area into which a system crash dump may occur, by the com- mand (see crashconf(1M)). The fields options, directory, pass number, and backup frequency are ignored for entries. Entries marked by the type are ignored by all commands and can be used to mark unused sections. If type is specified as either or the entry is ignored by the and commands (see mount(1M) and fsck(1M)). fsck also ignores entries with type specified as or options A comma-separated list of option keywords, as found in or (see mount(1M) and swapon(1M)). The keywords used depend on the parameter specified in type. backup frequency Reserved for possible use by future backup utilities. pass number Used by the command to determine the order in which file system checks are done. The root file system should be speci- fied with a pass number of 1, to be checked first, and other file systems should have larger numbers. (A file system with a pass number of zero is ignored by the command.) File systems within a drive should be assigned different pass numbers, but file systems on different drives can be checked on the same pass, to utilize possible parallelism available in the hardware. If pass number is not present, checks each such file system sequentially after all eligible file systems with pass numbers have been checked. comment An optional field that begins with a character and ends with a new-line character. Space from the pass number to the comment field (if present) or to the new-line is reserved for future use. There is no limit to the number of device special file fields in NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS If the field type is a remote NFS file system is implied. For NFS file systems, the device special file should be the serving machine name followed by ":" followed by the path on the serving machine of the directory being served. The pass number and backup frequency fields are ignored for NFS entries. EXAMPLES
Examples of typical entries: Add an HFS file system at using default mount options; (backup frequency 0) fsck pass 2: Add a device to a system managed using LVM, with default options (Note, the directory field cannot be empty, even though it is ignored): Add a swap device on a system implementing whole-disk layout to use the space after the end of the file system (options Add file system swap space on the file system containing directory type is set options to and (see swapon(1M)) for explanation of options). device field is ignored but must not be empty: (Note that both a file system entry and a swap entry are required for devices providing both services.) Use a device for dump space if the system crashes. directory field is ignored but must not be empty: (Note that both a swap entry and a dump entry are required for devices providing both services.) Add a MemFS file system at of The device special file field is ignored but must not be empty: WARNINGS
HP-UX system administration tools that provide file system mount management interfaces may read and/or write System administrators should be careful not to simultaneously modify this file with one of these tools. DEPENDENCIES
NFS Here is an example for mounting an NFS file system on systems that support NFS file systems: AUTHOR
fstab was developed by HP, AT&T, Sun Microsystems, Inc., and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
crashconf(1M), fsck(1M), mount(1M), swapon(1M), getfsent(3X), getmntent(3X), mnttab(4). fstab(4)