Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: uname info
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users uname info Post 302289676 by Whiteboard on Friday 20th of February 2009 08:09:40 AM
Old 02-20-2009
This is what my OS looks like... hope it may help you...

Code:
$ uname -r
2.4.21-57.ELsmp

Quote:
2 : Kernel version
4 : The major revision of the kernel
21 : The minor revision of the kernel
57 : Immediate fixing / bug fixing for critical error
ELsmp

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wrong 'uname' )

Hi ! I heard that root can modify the uname -command, so it will show the wrong kernel version. Is it true? can you tell more about this /give links ? system: linux/*bsd. thanks in advance (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: DCrystal
14 Replies

2. AIX

uname -S

hi , i have made a mistake :( on the production enviourment by change tha host name . after that i returned back the old name. but i think this will not afeect the system until reboot the machine. laso i tried to telnet the syetem by the host name not by the IP address and it works fine. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies

3. Linux

Uname

what is the difference between uname -m and uname -i what it actually means (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dileepsp
2 Replies

4. AIX

uname -S newhostname

hi freinds recently i have change hostname node as using uname -s ******* but next time i saw the name using uname -n the name did t changed is that i have to reboot the system (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
4 Replies

5. Solaris

uname help

hi all, Operating System Name : Unix Sun Solaris Operating system release level : 5.10 Operating system version : Generic_137111-06 i know the release level that is kernel version Generic_137111-06 what is number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tr command with uname -n

Using the command : echo $eup_terminal_code | tr -s 'mil vrn qcm' 'mci pql qcm' it works,but this translation changes depending on the system. I'd like to define the following variables ,one for each system : mil22h_from='mil vrn frl' mil22h_to='mci vci fci' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierluigi.sala
4 Replies

7. Fedora

uname too vague?

Hi all, I am ssh'ed into a cluster and want to install a package. However, I don't know which type to chose (CentOS, Fedora, OpenSuSE are some of the options). I ran called uname with various arguments but none are specific... $ uname -n resolute.research... $ uname -i x86_64 $ uname... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neurorad
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uname -a output

Can anyone please let me know the meaning of output of uname -a ? I am totally new to unix or linux and just thinking to start learning. When I run uname -a the output I get is - "Linux blx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" I want to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

9. Solaris

uname -a

bssmsrv223:/ 53 ] uname -a SunOS bssmsrv223 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 bssmsrv223:/ 54 ] what does 118833-36 denotes in Generic_118833-36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

10. Linux

Difference between UNAME and WHO

Hi, What is the exact output tells me when i issued UNAME and WHO ? Regards, Nantha.Y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies
showrev(1M)                                                                                                                            showrev(1M)

NAME
showrev - show machine, software revision, and patch revision information SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/showrev [-a] [-p | -p -R root_path] [-w] [-c command] [-s hostname] showrev displays revision information for the current hardware and software. With no arguments, showrev shows the system revision informa- tion including hostname, hostid, release, kernel architecture, application architecture, hardware provider, domain, and kernel version. If a command is supplied with the -c option, showrev shows the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH and finds out all the directories within the PATH that contain it. For each file found, its file type, revision, permissions, library information, and checksum are printed as well. The following options are supported: -a Print all system revision information available. Window system and patch information are added. -c command Print the revision information about command. -p Print only the revision information about patches. -R root_path Define the full path name of a directory to use as the root_path. By specifying the root path, showrev retrieves the revi- sion information about the patch from package system information files located under a directory tree starting at root_path. The root_path can be specified when retrieving installed patch information in a client from a server, for exam- ple, /export/root/client1. Note - The root file system of any non-global zones must not be referenced with the -R option. Doing so might damage the global zone's file system, might compromise the security of the global zone, and might damage the non-global zone's file system. See zones(5). -s hostname Perform this operation on the specified hostname. The -s operation completes correctly only when hostname is running Solaris 2.5 or compatible versions. -w Print only the OpenWindows revision information. OUTPUT
Varies, based on flags passed. If no flags are passed, output similar to the following appears: Hostname: system1 Hostid: 7233808e Release: 5.10 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems Domain: a.network.COM Kernel version: SunOS 5.10 generic The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWadmc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ arch(1), ldd(1), mcs(1), sum(1), patchadd(1M), attributes(5) For the -s option to work when hostname is running a version of Solaris prior to 2.5, the Solstice AdminSuite must be installed on host- name. 6 Apr 2005 showrev(1M)