Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stopping Cron Mail to administrator Post 302289308 by buzzs4w on Thursday 19th of February 2009 08:42:25 AM
Old 02-19-2009
Thanks Otheus

I assume that I would have to add dev/null redirect to each and every cronjob within the crontab.

I found another solution which is adding EMAILTO="" to the start of the crontab, I haven't had chance to test it yet, so I'm not 100% sure if it works

With regard to mail configuration, I have used postfix act as a relay to our mail system (Lotus Notes). There is an /etc/aliases file but postfix adds aliases using its mail.rc file - this works sucessfully

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stopping cron temporarly for weekend maintenance

I need to do some DB maintenance, but there are cron jobs running all weekend. How do I stop the cron jobs (that I see when I do a crontab -l) for the weekend then restart the cron jobs. My understanding is that when the system is startted cron jobs in the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs folder are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process mail using cron

I am looking for information on how to process mail using a cron job. The email server is a hosted ISP, so I simply have a POP connection to the mailbox. Specifically, I want to fire a cron job at {x} time and have pine, mail, mailx, or some other suitable mail client utility process the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EOD
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Mail is not sent by cron daemon

Hello All, In SunOS 10, I have some cron jobs and it is running fine but the cron job outputs are not mailing to any acount of the system. In other OS, we have option like MAILTO variable or /dev/null to disable but in Sun I have no idea how it is disabled by default and how do I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
13 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

5. Solaris

no mail after cron

Hi All, My current version is 5.10 Generic_127127-11, I'm not getting mails after cron for single os user where as for others users im getting mail after cron. i've not found any mail file in /var/mail for that particular user, and i have created a new mail file. but no luck please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adeel_dba
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron jobs and mail

Hi, I am new to this mail concept and cran jobs,i have given with a task to send a mail for every one hour from unix to my outlook by checking some sanitry checks kindly look the below queires and help me in this 1.)How to send a mail from unix box to outlook. 2.)I assigned to check a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

stopping you have mail.....

Hi, on server Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3, I am getting the mail "you have mail" can any body suggest how to stop this? mail are getting generated in below path. /var/spool/postfix/maildrop, due to which heavy file are getting generated. though sendmail service is stopped. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail Attachment Not Working for Cron

Hi All, i Have An Script Which is Fetching Data From DB And sending Mail With the Data in Excel Format. i'm Receiving Mail with Attachment when i Manually Running the script using ksh -x Scriptname or ./ Scriptname. when i try to run it through cron i'm receiving mail only but ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen1.kumar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stopping cron job

Hi, I have scheduled one job in crontab. I want to stop the job automatically after some time of its execution without killing it. Could i archive the above? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehulleo
8 Replies
MAILER.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    MAILER.CONF(5)

NAME
mailer.conf -- configuration file for mailwrapper(8) DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/mail/mailer.conf contains a series of lines of the form name program [arguments ...] The first word of each line is the name of a program invoking mailwrapper(8). (For example, on a typical system /usr/sbin/sendmail would be a symbolic link to mailwrapper(8), as would newaliases(1) and mailq(1). Thus, name might be ``sendmail'' or ``newaliases'' etc.) The second word of each line is the name of the program to actually execute when the first name is invoked. The further arguments, if any, are passed to the program, followed by the arguments mailwrapper(8) was called with. The file may also contain comment lines, denoted by a '#' mark in the first column of any line. FILES
/etc/mail/mailer.conf EXAMPLES
This example shows how to set up mailer.conf to invoke the traditional sendmail(8) program: # Execute the "real" sendmail program located in # /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail sendmail /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail send-mail /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail mailq /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail newaliases /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail This example shows how to invoke a sendmail-workalike like Postfix in place of sendmail(8): # Emulate sendmail using postfix sendmail /usr/local/sbin/sendmail send-mail /usr/local/sbin/sendmail mailq /usr/local/sbin/sendmail newaliases /usr/local/sbin/sendmail This example shows how to invoke a sendmail-workalike with Exim (from ports) in place of sendmail(8): # Emulate sendmail using exim sendmail /usr/local/sbin/exim send-mail /usr/local/sbin/exim mailq /usr/local/sbin/exim -bp newaliases /usr/bin/true rmail /usr/local/sbin/exim -i -oee This example shows the use of the mini_sendmail package from ports in place of sendmail(8). Note the use of additional arguments. # Send outgoing mail to a smart relay using mini_sendmail sendmail /usr/local/bin/mini_sendmail -srelayhost send-mail /usr/local/bin/mini_sendmail -srelayhost SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), mailwrapper(8), sendmail(8) postfix(1) (ports/mail/postfix), mini_sendmail(8) (ports/mail/mini_sendmail) HISTORY
mailer.conf appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the "behave dif- ferently if invoked with a different name" behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
October 8, 2010 BSD