Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stopping Cron Mail to administrator Post 302289308 by buzzs4w on Thursday 19th of February 2009 08:42:25 AM
Old 02-19-2009
Thanks Otheus

I assume that I would have to add dev/null redirect to each and every cronjob within the crontab.

I found another solution which is adding EMAILTO="" to the start of the crontab, I haven't had chance to test it yet, so I'm not 100% sure if it works

With regard to mail configuration, I have used postfix act as a relay to our mail system (Lotus Notes). There is an /etc/aliases file but postfix adds aliases using its mail.rc file - this works sucessfully

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stopping cron temporarly for weekend maintenance

I need to do some DB maintenance, but there are cron jobs running all weekend. How do I stop the cron jobs (that I see when I do a crontab -l) for the weekend then restart the cron jobs. My understanding is that when the system is startted cron jobs in the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs folder are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process mail using cron

I am looking for information on how to process mail using a cron job. The email server is a hosted ISP, so I simply have a POP connection to the mailbox. Specifically, I want to fire a cron job at {x} time and have pine, mail, mailx, or some other suitable mail client utility process the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EOD
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Mail is not sent by cron daemon

Hello All, In SunOS 10, I have some cron jobs and it is running fine but the cron job outputs are not mailing to any acount of the system. In other OS, we have option like MAILTO variable or /dev/null to disable but in Sun I have no idea how it is disabled by default and how do I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
13 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

5. Solaris

no mail after cron

Hi All, My current version is 5.10 Generic_127127-11, I'm not getting mails after cron for single os user where as for others users im getting mail after cron. i've not found any mail file in /var/mail for that particular user, and i have created a new mail file. but no luck please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adeel_dba
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron jobs and mail

Hi, I am new to this mail concept and cran jobs,i have given with a task to send a mail for every one hour from unix to my outlook by checking some sanitry checks kindly look the below queires and help me in this 1.)How to send a mail from unix box to outlook. 2.)I assigned to check a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

stopping you have mail.....

Hi, on server Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3, I am getting the mail "you have mail" can any body suggest how to stop this? mail are getting generated in below path. /var/spool/postfix/maildrop, due to which heavy file are getting generated. though sendmail service is stopped. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail Attachment Not Working for Cron

Hi All, i Have An Script Which is Fetching Data From DB And sending Mail With the Data in Excel Format. i'm Receiving Mail with Attachment when i Manually Running the script using ksh -x Scriptname or ./ Scriptname. when i try to run it through cron i'm receiving mail only but ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen1.kumar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stopping cron job

Hi, I have scheduled one job in crontab. I want to stop the job automatically after some time of its execution without killing it. Could i archive the above? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehulleo
8 Replies
POSTFIX(1)						      General Commands Manual							POSTFIX(1)

NAME
postfix - Postfix control program SYNOPSIS
postfix [-c config_dir] [-D] [-v] command DESCRIPTION
This command is reserved for the super-user. To submit mail, use the Postfix sendmail command. The postfix command controls the operation of the Postfix mail system: start or stop the master daemon, do a health check, and other main- tenance. The postfix command sets up a standardized environment and runs the postfix-script shell script to do the actual work. The following commands are implemented: check Validate the Postfix mail system configuration. Warn about bad directory/file ownership or permissions, and create missing directo- ries. start Start the Postfix mail system. This also runs the configuration check described above. stop Stop the Postfix mail system in an orderly fashion. Running processes are allowed to terminate at their earliest convenience. Note: in order to refresh the Postfix mail system after a configuration change, do not use the start and stop commands in succes- sion. Use the reload command instead. abort Stop the Postfix mail system abruptly. Running processes are signaled to stop immediately. flush Force delivery: attempt to deliver every message in the deferred mail queue. Normally, attempts to deliver delayed mail happen at regular intervals, the interval doubling after each failed attempt. reload Re-read configuration files. Running processes terminate at their earliest convenience. The following options are implemented: -c config_dir Read the main.cf and master.cf configuration files in the named directory instead of the default configuration directory. Use this to distinguish between multiple Postfix instances on the same host. -D (with postfix start only) Run each Postfix daemon under control of a debugger as specified via the debugger_command configuration parameter. -v Enable verbose logging for debugging purposes. Multiple -v options make the software increasingly verbose. ENVIRONMENT
The postfix command sets the following environment variables: MAIL_CONFIG Directory with Postfix configuration files. MAIL_VERBOSE This is set when the -v command-line option is present. MAIL_DEBUG This is set when the -D command-line option is present. CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
The following main.cf configuration parameters are made available as process environment variables with the same names: command_directory Directory with Postfix administrative commands. daemon_directory Directory with Postfix daemon programs. config_directory Directory with Postfix configuration files and with administrative shell scripts. queue_directory The directory with Postfix queue files, with local inter-process communication endpoints, and with files needed for daemon programs that run in the optional chrooted environment. mail_owner The owner of Postfix queue files and of most Postfix processes. setgid_group The group for mail submission and queue management commands. sendmail_path The full pathname for the Postfix sendmail command. newaliases_path The full pathname for the Postfix newaliases command. mailq_path The full pathname for the Postfix mailq command. manpage_directory The directory for the Postfix on-line manual pages. sample_directory The directory for the Postfix sample configuration files. readme_directory The directory for the Postfix README files. Other configuration parameters import_environment List of names of environment parameters that can be imported from non-Postfix processes. FILES
$config_directory/postfix-script, administrative commands $config_directory/main.cf, configuration parameters $config_directory/master.cf, Postfix daemon processes SEE ALSO
master(8) Postfix master program LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA POSTFIX(1)