Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vgchgid missed one disk
Operating Systems HP-UX vgchgid missed one disk Post 302288761 by apra143 on Wednesday 18th of February 2009 02:17:36 AM
Old 02-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by candlejack
Someone gave you an answer here: IT Resource Center forums - vgchgid missed one disk

For the benefit of other forum members, did that work for you?
I posted that there too. Basically:

# vgchgid -f /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d2
vgchgid: physical volume "/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0" and "/dev/rdsk/c0t0d2" do not belong to the same volume group.

So the -f option won't work.

I know for a fact that the 3 disks did belong to the same VG before (exported from system A then moved to system B where we accidently vgchgid the first two and forgot the third).

Silly mistake, but not my mistake Smilie
No way of fixing so far Smilie

Anyone know of a way (my guess would be to use the dd command to duplicate the first few sectors from c0t0d0 to c0t0d2), but cannot believe others have never enocountered such a issue before Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

asked question about script before missed ansewr..

linux fedora core2 :) i am trying to write a script to clear, date, pwd and tty a linux termnal or konsole.. when I test the tty against $0 i am, getting a premission denied on the terminal that I am trying to printf to.. I tried using an awk command, test condition, an if then fi clause, but... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
6 Replies

2. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

3. Linux

Apache folder missed

Hi, I am confused on apache service. Please advice me There is no apache directory in my linux box. Even I cant find out httpd.conf file also. But If browse my Hostname in Internet Explor, I can able to apache service there. Please How it is working .. This file is available in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find missed numbers

I have a file as follows: 1 3 7 12 78 ... 999998 1000000 I want to find out all numbers not in the file above and put into another file like 2 4 5 6 8 9 10 (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtdt
13 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message displayed following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrya
1 Replies
volfs(7FS)							   File Systems 							volfs(7FS)

NAME
volfs - Volume Management file system DESCRIPTION
volfs is the Volume Management file system rooted at root_dir. The default location for root-dir is /vol, but this can be overridden using the -d option of vold (see vold(1M)). This file system is maintained by the Volume Management daemon, vold, and will be considered to be /vol for this description. Media can be accessed in a logical manner (no association with a particular piece of hardware), or a physical manner (associated with a particular piece of hardware). Logical names for media are referred to through /vol/dsk and /vol/rdsk. /vol/dsk provides block access to random access devices. /vol/rdsk provides character access to random access devices. The /vol/rdsk and /vol/dsk directories are mirrors of one another. Any change to one is reflected in the other immediately. The dev_t for a volume will be the same for both the block and character device. The default permissions for /vol are mode=0555, owner=root, group=sys. The default permissions for /vol/dsk and /vol/rdsk are mode=01777, owner=root, group=sys. Physical references to media are obtained through /vol/dev. This hierarchy reflects the structure of the /dev name space. The default per- missions for all directories in the /vol/dev hierarchy are mode=0555, owner=root, group=sys. mkdir(2), rmdir(2), unlink(2) (rm), symlink(2) (ln -s), link(2) (ln), and rename(2) (mv) are supported, subject to normal file and direc- tory permissions. The following system calls are not supported in the /vol filesystem: creat(2), only when creating a file, and mknod(2). If the media does not contain file systems that can be automatically mounted by rmmount(1M), users can gain access to the media through the following /vol locations: +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ | Location | State of Media | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/diskette0/unnamed_floppy | formatted unnamed floppy-block | | | device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/rdiskette0/unnamed_floppy | formatted unnamed floppy-raw | | | device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/diskette0/unlabeled | unlabeled floppy-block device | | | access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/rdiskette0/unlabeled | unlabeled floppy-raw device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/dsk/c0t6/unnamed_cdrom | CD-ROM-block device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/rdsk/c0t6/unnamed_cdrom | CD-ROM-raw device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ For more information on the location of CD-ROM and floppy media, see System Administration Guide: Basic Administration or rmmount(1M). Partitions Some media support the concept of a partition. If the label identifies partitions on the media, the name of the media becomes a directory with partitions under it. Only valid partitions are represented. Partitions cannot be moved out of a directory. For example, if disk volume 'foo' has three valid partitions, 0, 2, and 5, then: /vol/dsk/foo/s0 /vol/dsk/foo/s2 /vol/dsk/foo/s5 for block access and /vol/rdsk/foo/s0 /vol/rdsk/foo/s2 /vol/rdsk/foo/s5 for character access. If a volume is relabeled to reflect different partitions, the name space changes to reflect the new partition layout. A format program can check to see if there are others with the volume open and not allow the format to occur if it is. Volume Management, however, does not explicitly prevent the rewriting of a label while others have the volume open. If a partition of a volume is open, and the volume is relabeled to remove that partition, it will appear exactly as if the volume were missing. A notify event will be generated and the user may cancel the operation with volcancel(1), if desired. SEE ALSO
volcancel(1), volcheck(1), volmissing(1) rmmount(1M), vold(1M), rmmount.conf(4), vold.conf(4) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 8 Feb 1995 volfs(7FS)