Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications CVS recursive diff -- how to exclude specific directories? Post 302288550 by airon23bball on Tuesday 17th of February 2009 02:17:49 PM
Old 02-17-2009
thanks for moving this

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNUTAR exclude directories

Hi, Can anyone help me with the following: I want to make a backup from my (AIX) system. But I don't want to backup a couple of temp-directories. I tried it with the X-option, but that didn't work. I hope that someone can help me. Thanks in advance. Corine (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBlueLady
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep recursive directories

I am trying to locate a file or files with specific data in them. Problem is the file(s) could reside in any one of many directories. My question is. Is there a way of recursively greping directories for the file(s) with the data I am looking for. I have tried - 1. $HOME> grep 47518 | ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cvs diff then commit

I would like to run a cvs diff to check which files have been changed and then cvs commit these changed files. Does anyone have a shell script which will automate this process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alangibson
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive chmod that only affects directories?

The man page for chmod doesn't list a way to recursively change permissions on directories only, without affecting the files themselves. Let's say that I wanted to change the permissions on the current directory and all subdirectories. I know I can write a bash script that would do this using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: retrovertigo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find but exclude directories

Hello, I have a line in my script to find the files changed in the last 24 hours. It is as below: find /home/hary -type f -mtime -1 I now want to exclude a directory named "/home/hary/temp/cache" from the above find command. How do I add it to my script? Any help is appreciated. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadi18
9 Replies

6. AIX

recursive archive directories and subdirectories

Hi everyone, Maybe this is simple question for many of you, but I get confused.:confused: How to archive a parent directory which contains some subdirectories and some files? I have searched this forum, there are some commands like tar,etc, I tried but can not be implemented in my system.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exclude the empty directories

Hi., I have a script, in which I am processing a files present in the directory types. ls -lrt | grep ^d | grep Dir_type | awk -f '{print $9}' |\ while read dir_name; do #operations done where Dir_type is the pattern in which directories get created. How to filter out empty... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive looping through files and directories

hi; i need a script which will go to all directories and subdirectories and print the filenames as follow; here i m printing only files listing in current directory reason i m doing this is coz i want to perform some operations according to filename achieved so cant use find command;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Git diff exclude swapped lines

Hi, I am doing aws security group auditing every day to find the difference. I am using git to find the difference. But some times some security group rules order is changing up and down(swapping lines). So 'git diff' command gives this as a difference which i dont want(i need only new lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobycxa
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Chattr recursive exclude directory

Attempting to recursive chattr directories while excluding a directory, however the command which works with chown does not seem to with chattr find /mysite/public_html ! -wholename '/mysite/public_html/images' -type d -exec chattr -R +i {} \; find /mysite/public_html -not -path "*/images*"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carnagel
2 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)