Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting NAWK - looping with match() function Post 302288162 by vgersh99 on Monday 16th of February 2009 02:30:53 PM
Old 02-16-2009
no, because you're overwriting the the whole record/line on every iteration through the 'while' loop - chopping it up to 'nothing' with 'match' and the '$0=...' assignment.

An alternative - holding on to the FIRST 'before' pattern and printing it out for every 'match':
Code:
#!/usr/bin/nawk -f

BEGIN {
pat="AI_SQL\/[a-zA-Z_]+\.sql"
}

{
    if (match($0, pat)) {
       before = substr($0,1,RSTART-1);

do {
          pattern = substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH);
          printf("%s%s\n", before, pattern);
          $0=substr($0, RSTART+RLENGTH)
       } while (match($0, pat))
    }
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk user-defined function

HELP!!!! I am in an on-line shell programming class and have a question. Here is the data: Mike Harrington:(510) 548-1278:250:100:175 Christian Dobbins:(408) 538-2358:155:90:201 Susan Dalsass:(206) 654-6279:250:60:50 (There are 12 contribuors total) This database contains names, phone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NewbieGirl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Time Function

Hi All, I am using solaris and nawk. Is there any time function in nawk which is simliar to the shell `date` function ? Can any experts show any examples? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK getline function

Hi, I am using a Solaris OS here. My intention is to print the 2nd field if the first field matches "APPLE=". I am using the "getline" function here (shown below), but it doesn;t work. Can any experts give me some advice? Input: ORANGE= 10 APPLE= 20 MANGO= 30 GRAPES= 40 Output: 20 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

match 2 files using nawk command

i am matching two files. the files are in the format file_1.txt 1|_|X|_| 2|_|W|_| 3|_|Y|_| 4|_|Z|_| 5|_|U|_| file_2.txt W|_|A|_| Z|_|C|_| V|_|B|_| X|_|D|_|sdff|_| Y|_| file_3.txt should be in the format (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: centurion_13
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using SYSTEM function in NAWK

I am scanning a file (line by line) for format errors. A line could have multiple errors. Each field in the line is evaluated for errors and sent, along w/ any error messages, to a temporary file. Finally, if any errors were detected, this temporary file is then appended to the errorFile. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aschera
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell Script: While function not fully looping

I am new to scripting and this is probably the 4th or 5th simple script I have written. I am working with a HUGE number of data that need to be organized into folders and named a certain way. I wrote the naming script using a while function to go through the 1000-some folders and rename the files... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: notluckyhannah
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use match() in nawk to find digits in number

Hi, I just need to check whether number of digits in a phone number is 10 or not. If I am not wrong regex will be: {9} I have to use this inside nawk as this is a small portion of a big program. nawk ' BEGIN { RS="";FS=";"; regex="{9}"; } { for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) { if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with nawk (Exact Match)

I have a file with the contents below "lets say the name of the file is abcxyz" shown at the end of this. I am using nawk to find the exact ip address and the 6 lines after the match is found using the following nawk statement /usr/bin/nawk "/111.46.14.107/,printed==6 { ++printed; print; }"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk match regex of bash variable

Using a bash for loop to pass variables into a nawk loop to capture a string in an sftp log. Tried several different syntax methods to have the variable treated as a regex so the loop will capture the string. for i in `cat /tmp/dar3.out.2` do nawk -vst=$i '$5 ~ /$st/ && /closed/ && /user/... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smenago
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pattern match by looping through search patterns

Hi I am using Solaris 5.10 & ksh Wanted to loop through a pattern file by reading it and passing it to the awk to match that value present in column 1 of rawdata.txt , if so print column 1 & 2 in to Avlblpatterns.txt. Using the following code but it seems some mistakes and it is running for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
2 Replies
MouseX::NativeTraits::Str(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    MouseX::NativeTraits::Str(3pm)

NAME
MouseX::NativeTraits::Str - Helper trait for Str attributes SYNOPSIS
package MyHomePage; use Mouse; has 'text' => ( traits => ['String'], is => 'rw', isa => 'Str', default => q{}, handles => { add_text => 'append', replace_text => 'replace', }, ); my $page = MyHomePage->new(); $page->add_text("foo"); # same as $page->text($page->text . "foo"); DESCRIPTION
This module provides a simple string attribute, to which mutating string operations can be applied more easily (no need to make an lvalue attribute metaclass or use temporary variables). Additional methods are provided for completion. PROVIDED METHODS
These methods are implemented in MouseX::NativeTraits::MethodProvider::Str. It is important to note that all those methods do in place modification of the value stored in the attribute. inc Increments the value stored in this slot using the magical string autoincrement operator. Note that Perl doesn't provide analogous behavior in "--", so "dec" is not available. append($string) Append a string, like ".=". prepend($string) Prepend a string. replace($pattern, $replacement) Performs a regexp substitution ("s" in perlop). A code references will be accepted for the replacement, causing the regexp to be modified with a single "e". "/smxi" can be applied using the "qr" operator. replace($pattern, $replacement) Performs a regexp substitution ("s" in perlop) with the "g" flag. A code references will be accepted for the replacement, causing the regexp to be modified with a single "e". "/smxi" can be applied using the "qr" operator. match($pattern) Like "replace" but without the replacement. Provided mostly for completeness. chop "chop" in perlfunc chomp "chomp" in perlfunc clear Sets the string to the empty string (not the value passed to "default"). length "length" in perlfunc substr "substr" in perlfunc. We go to some lengths to match the different functionality based on "substr"'s arity. METHODS
meta method_provider_class helper_type SEE ALSO
MouseX::NativeTraits perl v5.14.2 2011-12-04 MouseX::NativeTraits::Str(3pm)