Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD openBSD 4.4 server stuff questions Post 302288006 by wolf3d on Monday 16th of February 2009 08:01:55 AM
Old 02-16-2009
Error openBSD 4.4 server stuff questions

Hi! i have installed openBSD 4.4 on i386 and i use it as simple web server.
Apache 1.3 manages web server.
The problem is that i want to make safe file transfer via SFTP.
I know that it uses openSSH...
1) does i need to enable anything else than openSSH and SFTP?
2) where can i find openSSH tutorial for starter???
3)how must the sshd_config look like for password auth. ? i think its the simplies variant for me.
a)will SFTP work if openSSH is configured to make password auth. ?
4) what can i else use to safaly transfer files from windows pc to openBSD 4.4?
thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenBSD Questions

Hello Today I installed OpenBSD, and it went great (I hope) But I'm a little confused.. I've run ŽLinux slackware before, and when I recompiled the kernel there, I did it in /usr/src/linux-xxx But in OpenBSD the /usr/src dir is empty! And how do I get X-windows to work? I tried to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hamcha
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun server hardware questions

I have no experience with sun servers but for fun and experience I would like to buy a low-end server and play with things. I have a few questions that maybe some of you who use these things will be able to answer: - I believe they are also called PCI slots in the sun server, but are they the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install neon-0.26.3. on a OpenBSD server

Hello, I'm a very basic beginning user of OpenBSD. I'd like to install neon-0.26.3. I placed it on our server but I don't know how to install it. The directory has the following contain: # ls .package AUTHORS ChangeLog.CVS NEWS TODO ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syddy
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp server on old home computer - a few questions

Hi! Very new to unix stuff, and this is my first post to the forum. I'm pretty sure I know enough to know I know nothing, so please be patient with me and don't laugh too hard. Ok, I've got an old computer and a laptop - the old computer was bought in the mid 90's it's still running windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boredbody
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

3 questions about NTP server

Folks; I'm setting up a new NTP server to sync time for our network. I have one Linux server that needs to point to that NTP server My 3 questions are: 1. I added the IP address for the NTP server to the "/etc/hosts" file on the Linux server. Is that all i need to do to make the Linux server... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Questions & helps regarding Netra 1280 server

Hello Everybody I want to that can we configure hardware domain on netra 1280 server as I could not able to find any document regarding this server. If yes could anyone send me link regarding this. I could not able find any proper document related to LOM. Could any provide me the link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amity
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Building new ldom server--many questions

Hi All, I am just starting to build T5240 servers with ldoms in the hope of consolidating some of my older hardware (280Rs, 220Rs, etc). These old servers are currently set up using disksuite mirroring to backup all root and data drives. I am new to Ldoms, zpools, zfs, raidctl, et al. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimeeye
2 Replies

8. Linux

Questions about the NTP time server sync

Hi folks, I have developed a Linux server for my customer. After migrating the server to my customer site, I was trying to sync its time to the NTP time servers at my customer site. Below is the ntp.conf: % vi /etc/ntp.conf # Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not # permit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimurayuki
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Questions about running local YUM server

Im building a local yum server to update a handful of RHEL6 and RHEL7 servers, I'll be sharing out these updates via a local http webserver but I have a few questions. 1) it seem I am only able to download RHEL6 patches from a RHEL6 box and 7 patches from a 7 box which would mean I would have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dendenyc
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

The web server questions

Hi is it logically is better Mysql Have to be installed on the apache machine ? Or a separate machine to consider e for that separate if the machine is spearate has any effect to performance ? thank you for guidance :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
2 Replies
Catalyst::Manual::Deployment::Apache::mod_perl(3pm)	User Contributed Perl Documentation    Catalyst::Manual::Deployment::Apache::mod_perl(3pm)

NAME
Catalyst::Manual::Deployment::Apache::mod_perl - Deploying Catalyst with mod_perl mod_perl Deployment The recommended method of deploying Catalyst applications is FastCGI. In many cases, mod_perl is not the best solution, but we'll list some pros and cons so you can decide for yourself. Pros Speed mod_perl is fast, and your entire app will be loaded in memory within each Apache process. Shared memory for multiple apps If you need to run several Catalyst apps on the same server, mod_perl will share the memory for common modules. Cons Memory usage Since your application is fully loaded in memory, every Apache process will be rather large. This means a large Apache process will be tied up while serving static files, large files, or dealing with slow clients. For this reason, it is best to run a two-tiered web architecture with a lightweight frontend server passing dynamic requests to a large backend mod_perl server. Reloading Any changes made to the code of your app require a full restart of Apache. Catalyst does not support Apache::Reload or StatINC. This is another good reason to run a frontend web server where you can set up an "ErrorDocument 502" page to report that your app is down for maintenance. Cannot run multiple versions of the same app It is not possible to run two different versions of the same application in the same Apache instance because the namespaces will collide. Cannot run different versions of libraries If you have two different applications which run on the same machine, and each application needs a different versions of a library, the only way to do this is to have per-vhost perl interpreters (with different library paths). This is entirely possible, but nullifies all the memory sharing benefits that you get from having multiple applications sharing the same interpreter. Setup Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk about setting up mod_perl to run a Catalyst app. 2. Install Apache with mod_perl Both Apache 1.3 and Apache 2 are supported, although Apache 2 is highly recommended. With Apache 2, make sure you are using the prefork MPM and not the worker MPM. The reason for this is that many Perl modules are not thread-safe and may have problems running within the threaded worker environment. Catalyst is thread-safe however, so if you know what you're doing, you may be able to run using worker. In Debian, the following commands should get you going. apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork apt-get install libapache2-mod-perl2 3. Configure your application Every Catalyst application will automagically become a mod_perl handler when run within mod_perl. This makes the configuration extremely easy. Here is a basic Apache 2 configuration. PerlSwitches -I/var/www/MyApp/lib PerlModule MyApp <Location /> SetHandler modperl PerlResponseHandler MyApp </Location> The most important line here is "PerlModule MyApp". This causes mod_perl to preload your entire application into shared memory, including all of your controller, model, and view classes and configuration. If you have -Debug mode enabled, you will see the startup output scroll by when you first start Apache. Also, there have been reports that the block above should instead be (but this has not been confirmed): <Perl> use lib '/var/www/MyApp/lib'; use MyApp; </Perl> <Location /> SetHandler modperl PerlResponseHandler MyApp </Location> For an example Apache 1.3 configuration, please see the documentation for Catalyst::Engine::Apache::MP13. Test It That's it, your app is now a full-fledged mod_perl application! Try it out by going to http://your.server.com/. Other Options Non-root location You may not always want to run your app at the root of your server or virtual host. In this case, it's a simple change to run at any non- root location of your choice. <Location /myapp> SetHandler modperl PerlResponseHandler MyApp </Location> When running this way, it is best to make use of the "uri_for" method in Catalyst for constructing correct links. Static file handling Static files can be served directly by Apache for a performance boost. DocumentRoot /var/www/MyApp/root <Location /static> SetHandler default-handler </Location> This will let all files within root/static be handled directly by Apache. In a two-tiered setup, the frontend server should handle static files. The configuration to do this on the frontend will vary. Note the path of the application needs to be stated explicitly in the web server configuration for this recipes. AUTHORS
Catalyst Contributors, see Catalyst.pm COPYRIGHT
This library is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-20 Catalyst::Manual::Deployment::Apache::mod_perl(3pm)