Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Escaping special character stored in variables : perl Post 302287362 by zedex on Friday 13th of February 2009 01:31:24 PM
Old 02-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkasaurus
keep it simple....

why not just not use substitution?

Code:
print "${separator}$MM${separator}$MM${separator}$YYYY\n";

thanks for reply problem is i can try any combination of date format it can be yyyymmdd/dd/mmdd/ddmmyy anything ...so i am not sure which one is coming first ....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping special characters in file name...

dear, I would like to rename files in a dir to another format, so I write a bash shell script to handle it. But my problem now is how to handle files having special characters like spaces, (, ): "a b c (d).doc" It seems that I need to escape those characters before applying the "mv" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lau0001
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping the * character in ksh.

Hi All, In ksh script i'm trying to assign "sqlstmt1" varaible value, update VAREntryTb set VAR10num = VAR1num * Mltplr where BusD = '$val1' and RunI = 1"` Hence i wrote below statement, the issue with this is shell is expanding "*" character adn thus subistuting it with the content of my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindcgi
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Syntax to Extract Everything After Special Character

Hi, I am writing a Perl script that reads in many lines, if a line meets the criteria I want to edit, it. For example, the script will return the following example line... test=abc123 All I want to do is strip off the "test=" and just be left with the abc123. In my script I can easily... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrichard
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping embedded variables

I'm running into a problem with a differential backup script written in GNU Bash 3.0 - the following stripped down code demonstrates the problem quite nicely. $ DATE="last tuesday" $ date --date="$DATE" Tue Jan 6 00:00:00 PST 2009 So far so good. $ CMD="date --date=\"$DATE\"" $... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special Characters-Help

Hi All, I am having a trouble in passing special characters to a script. As I am new to bash script I dont know how to go and solve this. mypwd=(a+sdfg!h# if i pass $mypwd to a bash script, it is not accepting "(,!,+ etc". It would be a great help if some one can help to escape these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Perl split special character $

All I'm trying to split a string at the $ into arrays @data:=<dataFile> a $3.33 b $4.44 dfg $0.56 The split command I have been playing with is: split(/\$/, @data) which results with a .33 b .44 dfg .56 any help with this is appreciated /r Rick (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: schultz2146
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special characters

I want to append the following line to /var/spool/cron/root: */7 * * * * /root/'Linux CPU (EDF).sh' > /dev/null 2>&1 How to accomplish this using echo? ---------- Post updated at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:07 PM ---------- "Linux CPU (EDF)" is actually stored in a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping special characters

I'm attempting a little hack to get grep to highlight (change foreground color to red) a found string. Assuming a target file "test" consisting of the word "albert": My executable "algrep" consists of this: grep $1 $2 | sed "s/$1/\\\033 And when run: algrep al test Produces this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep correct pattern with special character and variables

cat file time="north_south_east_west_08:00" location="A" start="left" status="ok" end="north" time="north_south_east_west_12:00" location="C" start="right" status="ok" end="south" time="north_south_east_west_23:00" location="G" start="left" status="ok" end="east"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split string separated by special character

Hello I have string (string can have more sections) LINE="AA;BB;CC;DD;EE"I would like to assigne each part of string separated by ";" to some new variable. Can someone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
4 Replies
NUMBER_FORMAT(3)							 1							  NUMBER_FORMAT(3)

number_format - Format a number with grouped thousands

SYNOPSIS
string number_format (float $number, [int $decimals]) DESCRIPTION
string number_format (float $number, int $decimals, string $dec_point = ".", string $thousands_sep = ",") This function accepts either one, two, or four parameters (not three): If only one parameter is given, $number will be formatted without decimals, but with a comma (",") between every group of thousands. If two parameters are given, $number will be formatted with $decimals decimals with a dot (".") in front, and a comma (",") between every group of thousands. If all four parameters are given, $number will be formatted with $decimals decimals, $dec_point instead of a dot (".") before the decimals and $thousands_sep instead of a comma (",") between every group of thousands. PARAMETERS
o $number - The number being formatted. o $decimals - Sets the number of decimal points. o $dec_point - Sets the separator for the decimal point. o $thousands_sep - Sets the thousands separator. RETURN VALUES
A formatted version of $number. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | This function now supports multiple bytes in | | | $dec_point and $thousands_sep. Only the first | | | byte of each separator was used in older ver- | | | sions. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 number_format(3) Example For instance, French notation usually use two decimals, comma (',') as decimal separator, and space (' ') as thousand separator. This is achieved with this line : <?php $number = 1234.56; // english notation (default) $english_format_number = number_format($number); // 1,235 // French notation $nombre_format_francais = number_format($number, 2, ',', ' '); // 1 234,56 $number = 1234.5678; // english notation without thousands separator $english_format_number = number_format($number, 2, '.', ''); // 1234.57 ?> SEE ALSO
money_format(3), sprintf(3), printf(3), sscanf(3). PHP Documentation Group NUMBER_FORMAT(3)