Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Iterative statement to cut values from a line Post 302287332 by mannepalli on Friday 13th of February 2009 10:33:42 AM
Old 02-13-2009
clear requirement

Example file:
domain1|admin_url|man1_ulr|man2_url
domain2|admin_url|man1_url|man2_url|man3_url
domain3|admin_url|man1_url|man2_url|man3_url|man4_url

I need a iterative statement which checks each server status in a domain fetching from the line which is returned based on the domain name.

take the domain name
fetch the line, take the first url, check the status of the server and so on till the end of line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code checking for all values in the same if statement.

I am trying to set up a variable based on the name of the file. function script_name { if then job_name='MONITOR' return job_name; elsif then job_name='VERSION' return job_name fi } for i in `ls *log` do script_name $i done. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle8
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to assign cut values to an array

i need to seperate values seperated by delimiters and assign it to an array.. can u plz help me on that. Variables = "asd,rgbh,(,rty,got,),sroe,9034," i need to assign the variables into arrays.. like.. var=asd var=rgbh.. and so on how do i do this. i need to reuse the values stored in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syms
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterative operation

grep -o '\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}' then how do i iterate the file names?? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravis83
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with some iterative file processing

Gurus - Please help with this urgent situation. I have the following problem to solve using a shell script: 1. There are about 13 files named CONTAINER_1.lst, CONTAINER_2.lst, CONTAINER_3.lst .....CONTAINER_13.lst 2. Each of these files contain about 8 lines (in most cases) containing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH if statement using FLOAT values

Today I spent longer than I'd like to admit figuring out how to write a Bourne shell IF statement that tests a FLOAT value before executing a block of statements. Here's the solution I found, which invokes bc. Hope this will come in handy for someone: value = testval = if then body... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjepsen
5 Replies

6. Slackware

How should I cut this line using cut and grep?

not sure how to do it. wan't to delete it using cut and grep ince i would use it in the shell. but how must the command be? grep "64.233.181.103 wwwGoogle.com" /etc/hosts | cut -d the delimeter is just a space. can you help meplease. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfish
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Looping using cut statement

i want to create loop for below mentioned A1=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f3` A2=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f4` A3=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f5` A4=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f6` A5=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f7` A6=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f8` A7=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f9` A8=`echo $obj1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasricha.kunal
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

iterative parsing

I have always struggled when parsing a file vertically vs. by line horizontally. Can't seem to get my head around the concept. Here again I need to convert vertical output to horizontal output. original output root@acuransx:bpplsched 2000-STAND3 -v -M acuransx -l <2>bpplsched: INITIATING:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jouuu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with cut statement

Hi i have the below content in a file and i am trying to cut 5.4 , but when i use the below cut command nothing comes up . I am not sure what i am doing wrong. I am new to unix. Please help me, thanks for the help in advance. $ cat pid.txt 5.4 21399 ./PreRating $ cut -d ' ' -f1 pid.txt ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick1982
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut from tables based on column values

Hello, I have a tab-delimited table that may contain 11,12 or 13 columns. Depending on the number of columns, I want to cut and get a sub table as shown below. However, the awk commands in the code seem to be an issue. What should I be doing differently? #cut columns 1-2,4-5,11 when 12 &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)