Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Encrypt source code or Provide execute only permission Post 302287155 by krishmaths on Friday 13th of February 2009 01:28:34 AM
Old 02-13-2009
I don't have root permission anyway.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No permission to execute file

I am logged in as root and am trying to execute a file called x_cleanup_equdata but keep getting the message ksh: x_cleanup_equdataNEW: 0403-006 Execute permission denied. I did FTP this file from another server using GET, would this make the difference? I tried chmod 666 but still no luck. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markbeeson
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

without execute permission

how can a script run without execute permissions. when i run myscript as : sh a.sh it was working but when i say simple a.sh its not working since it has no x permission.but how about fist case? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raom
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Only Execute Permission for Others...

This might be very silly question but i dont know y is it so... i Have script I have Given the permissions in the following manner... -rwxrwx--x 1 root system 3 Jun 08 15:46 temp I want no one to see what is present in that but should be able to execute it.. but when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Encrypt the password ,source it in a expect script...!!

Hello folks I have a conf file ,say 'pass.conf' ,which is storing ascii password : PASS1111. I need to encrypt this password once and store it in a file. I ,then need to write a script which would read this encrypted password and decrypts it.The o/p o this script shud be this decrypted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
8 Replies

5. AIX

Do you need execute permission to navigate to a directory?

i have a user 'bart' which does not belong to apps group (as shown below) and i want him to be able to navigate to TEST directory.. i gave him read access but he cannot get through. when i added execute permission he was able to navigate to TEST drwxr-xr-- 3 draco apps 4096 Apr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Provide execute permission to a user

Hi, I have a shell script(test.sh) and need to give execute permission for this shell script to user group cobr_sftp and oracle. Could you please help as to how to give this permission. I have already given full access(777) to script test.sh. Does this mean all the users/user group can access... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
1 Replies

7. Debian

Execute permission problem

Hello, I need to install a program from a DVD. It uses a sh script called setup. root@ragnok: head -2 /media/cdrom0/setup #!/bin/sh root@ragnok: ls -l /media/cdrom0/setup -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 4688 Nov 8 08:38 /media/cdrom0/setup root@ragnok: /media/cdrom0/setup bash:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Use of Execute permission for folder

Hi All, What is the use of execute permission for a folder. I know "for execute a file(script file) we have to provide execute permission to that respective file".But what is the use to give execute permission to folder.Is it equal to read permission ? Regards, Mastan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
1 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)