Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: delimiter appears in field
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delimiter appears in field Post 302287123 by derekxu on Thursday 12th of February 2009 10:55:53 PM
Old 02-12-2009
delimiter appears in field

The typical line of the input file is as follows,

123|abcde|"xyz|mn"|ghelosa|3455hello|

The delimiter is |. I need to change it to another delimiter, say ~. For the above line, the output should be:

123~abcde~xyz|mn~ghelosa~3455hello~

The challenge is when | appears in a field, it cannot be changed. The field is double-quoted if there is | included (and the quote should be stripped off in the output).

Is there any way to accomplish this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort - only one field appears in output?

I'm running against a file with 1008 records like this, all beginning '4760 Slave': 4760 Slave,7,3607 ,GL ,200605,11320024 , ,GBP ,X00033 ,AI80190 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miwinter
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a field along with delimiter in the whole file

I have file with 20 fields and its pipe delimiter. I need to remove the 18th field along with pipe delimiter that seperates 17th and 18th field. In turn that means i want to make it now a file with only 19 fields. Can some body let me know how ican remove the 18th field from the whole file? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with sed to add delimiter and new field to each row

I have a file with millions of rows that I need to add a delimiter and a new field with a zero to the end of each row. (its too big to open and do a find and replace regex) I'm looking for the next line '\n' and need to replace it with a Unit Separator (hex \037) 0 \n. I've tried the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmac
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printing Field with Delimiter in AWK/cut

Hello, I had posted earlier about printing fields using AWK, but now I have a slightly different problem. I have text files in the format: 1*2,3,4,5 and wish to print the first, third, and fifth fields, including the asterisk and commas. In other words, after filtering it should look... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jahn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add field delimiter for the last field

I have a file with three fields and field delimiter '|' like: abc|12:13:45|123 xyz|12:87:32| qwe|54:21:09 In the file the 1st line has proper data -> abc|12:13:45|123 ,the 2nd line doesnt has data for the 3rd field which is okay , the 3rd line doesnt has data for the 3rd field as well the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehimadri
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deplace field delimiter

hi here my problem: i have 2 file: 1.tmp 111 222 555 2.tmp 1*TEST1**111*LA 2*TEST2**112*LA 3*TEST3**222*LA 4*TEST4**333*LA 5*TEST5**555*LA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saw7
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in extraction when space is a field delimiter

I have more than 1000 files to parse. Each file contains few lines (number of lines varies) followed by a header line having all column's name (SPOT, NAME etc) and then values for those columns. **Example File: sdgafh dfhaadfha sfgaf dhah jkthdj SPOT NAME GENE_NAME CH_MEAN CHDN_MED ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output field delimiter

Dear All, 1.txt (tab in between each value in a line) a b c a b c a c d you can see below, why with ~ i can output with tab, but = cannot? # awk -F'\t' '$2 ~ /b/' 1 a b c a b c # awk -F'\t' '$2 = "b"' 1 a b c a b c a b d ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :how to change delimiter without giving all field name

Hi Experts, i need to change delimiter from tab to "," sample test file cat test A0000368 A29938511 072569352 5 Any 2 for £1.00 BUTCHERS|CAT FOOD|400G Sep 12 2012 12:00AM Jan 5 2014 11:59PM Sep 7 2012 12:00AM M 2.000 group 5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can awk ignore the field delimiter like comma inside a field?

We have a csv file as mentioned below and the requirement is to change the date format in file as mentioned below. Current file (file.csv) ---------------------- empname,date_of_join,dept,date_of_resignation ram,08/09/2015,sales,21/06/2016 "akash,sahu",08/10/2015,IT,21/07/2016 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal.biswal
6 Replies
CUT(1)								   User Commands							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - remove sections from each line of files SYNOPSIS
cut OPTION... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --bytes=LIST select only these bytes -c, --characters=LIST select only these characters -d, --delimiter=DELIM use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter -f, --fields=LIST select only these fields; also print any line that contains no delimiter character, unless the -s option is specified -n (ignored) --complement complement the set of selected bytes, characters or fields -s, --only-delimited do not print lines not containing delimiters --output-delimiter=STRING use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of one range, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is written in the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once. Each range is one of: N N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1 N- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line N-M from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field -M from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field AUTHOR
Written by David M. Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report cut translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/cut> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) cut invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 CUT(1)