Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Breaking out of a pipe
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Breaking out of a pipe Post 302287115 by oinkl on Thursday 12th of February 2009 10:14:37 PM
Old 02-12-2009
Fails as in, grep doesn't find any results.

Then output an error message such as, "User is not logged on"

Quote:
why use grep if you still want to pass everything else to "some-other-commands" ?
Er... why not? Is there another command I can use?

I don't want to run things twice, because there are further error conditions in the subsequent set of commands. The idea is, I have a long sequence of commands, connected with pipes. If the execution fails at grep because user is not logged on, then output an error message. After grep, I retrieve the tty(s) of the user(from the grep'ed results), and if all his ttys are non-writeable, output another error message, and so on and so forth. There are multiple error conditions in the commands, and if it fails at any point, I would like to know where it fails, and output an appropriate error message.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Breaking Mirror

Can some one point this UNIX newbie to a web site or directions on the steps needed to break a mirror in HP-UNIX to change a bad hard drive. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: egress1
4 Replies

2. Linux

breaking out of while loop

Hi , I am running this script ( pasting only error code ) to generate some ddl definition for tables . But what I want is to break out of the db2look part when the base_table is not like DIM_$TN or FACT_$TN . After this it should come back to while loop to read the next TN . I read the other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: capri_drm
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking line

My input file is like USER_WORK.ABC USER_WORK.DEF I want output file like ABC DEF (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File breaking

Hey, I have to take one CSV file and break into more files. Let's I have a file prices.csv and the data in the file like 1,12345 1,34567 1,23456 2,67890 2,77720 2,44556 2,55668 10,44996 based on the first column, I want to create files. in this example 1 is repeated three times... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bond2222
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking out of loop

I have a main script with while loop having for loop inside. Again in for loop based on if condition few functions will be called. So when a function is called for certain condition it should come out from the main for loop and should continue with while loop. Let me explain with example here: I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

breaking for loop

Dear Friends, Here I need your guidance once again. I have for loop which check all files in a folder for a particular string. If the string is found in a file it returns value other than 0 else returns 0 value in variable t2. At times the string which we are looking for is in first file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Breaking up at the second occurrence

hi, My input is: 123 1234|123|123|123 123|123|456 123|123|12 12 Expected output is: 123 1234|123 123|123 123|123 456 123|123 12 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking a pipe

Here's my code - for File in "${Files}"; do uuencode "${File}" "$(basename ${File} 2>&-)" 2>&-; done | mailx -s "subject" "a@b.c" Now I want to know if there a way to *not* send an email if the "Files" variables turns out to be blank. Any suggestions? Also, just to clarify, I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)