Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing file to match strings Post 302287042 by quirkasaurus on Thursday 12th of February 2009 02:52:50 PM
Old 02-12-2009
i can just tell where this is going to go.... so before it spins into a thread
of 3 dozen half solutions....

OP, can you please provide a larger and more accurate sample data?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help removing strings from one file that match any of the values in a second file.

Hello, I have a file that lists a few hundred values. Example: abca abcb abcc abcd I have a 2nd file with a few thousand lines. I need to remove every line from the 2nd file that contains any of the values listed in first file. Example of strings to delete: line1 *abca* end of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upstate_boy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings from one file which exactly match to the 1st column of other file and then print lines.

Hi, I have two files. 1st file has 1 column (huge file containing ~19200000 lines) and 2nd file has 2 columns (small file containing ~6000 lines). ################################# huge_file.txt a a ab b ################################## small_file.txt a 1.5 b 2.5 ab ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Strings

Hello All, I am new to shell scripting and programming. I am looking for a guide on how I can parse specific information from a plain text file with thousands of lines. Specifically I need to parse an email address from each line. The line looks something like this:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: solvdsystems
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning two lines if they both match strings

Hi I have a problem where I have a large amount of files that I need to scan and return a line and its following line, but only when the following line begins with a string. String one - line one must begin with 'Bill' String two - line two must begin with 'Jones'. If these two... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormajormajor
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match strings in 2 different files

Hi, i am trying to match strings from 2 different files based on position like below:- file1 (tab delimited) f07270 lololol fff u12730 gggddd dddkkrr mmm file2 (not tab delimited) %f07270 APSLH bl%alalalalallaadsdsfdfdfdgsgfss %g13450 GDIDFLRIP%ILITEAPPRKgsfgsgsf %d08880... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing the longest match substring

Hello gurus, I have a database of possible primary signal strings pp22 pt22dx pp22dx jty2234 Also I have a list of scrambled signals which has a shorter string and a longer string separated by // (double slash ). Always the shorter string of a scrambled signal will have the primary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match Strings between two files, print portions of each file together when matched ([g]awk)

I have two files and desire to use the strings from $1 of file 1 (file1.txt) as search criteria to find matches in $2 of file 2 (file2.txt). If matches are found I want to output the entire line of file 2 (file2.txt) followed by fields $2-$11 of file 1 (file1.txt). I can find the matches, I cannot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

--Parsing out strings for repeating delimiters for everyline

Hello: I have some text output, on SunOS 5.11 platform using KSH: I am trying to parse out each string within the () for each line. I tried, as example: perl -lanF"" -e 'print "$F $F $F $F $F $F"' But for some reason, the output gets all garbled after the the first fields.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilgamesh
8 Replies
profile(7D)							      Devices							       profile(7D)

NAME
profile - DTrace profile interrupt provider DESCRIPTION
The profile driver is a DTrace dynamic tracing provider that adds time-based interrupt event sources that can be used as DTrace probes. Each profile event source is a time-based interrupt firing every fixed, specified time interval. You can use these probes to sample some aspect of system state every unit time and the samples can then be used to infer system behavior. If the sampling rate is high, or the sam- pling time is long, an accurate inference is possible. By using the DTrace facility to bind arbitrary actions to probes, you can use the profile provider to sample practically anything in the system. For example, you could sample the state of the current thread, the CPU state, or the current machine instruction each time a probe fires. The profile driver is not a public interface and you access the instrumentation offered by this provider through DTrace. Refer to the Solaris Dynamic Tracing Guide for a description of the public documented interfaces available for the DTrace facility and the probes offered by the profile provider. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdtrp | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Private | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), attributes(5), dtrace(7D) Solaris Dynamic Tracing Guide SunOS 5.11 4 Sep 2003 profile(7D)