Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Socket programming in C
Top Forums Programming Socket programming in C Post 302286963 by fpmurphy on Thursday 12th of February 2009 12:38:18 PM
Old 02-12-2009
man raw(7)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Socket Programming

Dear Reader, Is there any way to check up socket status other than 'netstatus ' Thanks in advance, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joseph_shibu
1 Replies

2. Programming

Socket Programming socket

Hello, I actually try to make client-server program. I'm using SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0 and when I try to compile my code (by TELNET) I've got this error : I'm just using this simple code : and I get the same error if I use : If someone can help me, Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soshell
2 Replies

3. Programming

Need Help Regarding Socket Programming

Can anyone plz me. I need a sample code for the following description. Its urgent. It is C/Socket program with the following descriptions: NAME coreadServer - Concurrent Readers Server. coreadClient - Concurrent Readers Client. SYNOPSIS coreadServer <OutputFile> coreadClient <n>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priya.vmr
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

socket programming

my system is a stand alone system... i want to try doing socket porgramming..ihave heard that this is usually done during testing... how can i do that....? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: damn_bkb
6 Replies

5. IP Networking

socket programming

Hello Everyone Iam working on tcp/ip programming.with some time interval server has to send data.client has to close the connection and to open the connection between the time interval.this is the scenario when iam closing the connection in client side the connection terminates.how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshvaikuntam
1 Replies

6. Programming

help regarding socket programming

i m using sockets for setting up a connection between a server and a client. When the clients gets connected to the server, its ip is conveyed to the server through one of the predefined structures in c library... i save this ip address in an array....1st client's ip address goes to the zeroth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abmxla007
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

socket programming

can we send udp message to a destination ip address .. without having an ip address configured in our machine using recvfrom ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hi i need help with socket programming

in socket programming how can i : Create for example 3 blank files, namely: server, client, network •Server: act as servers/provider, will receive all requests from different client •Client: requesters •Network: middle-layer of communication between server & client any tips or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedah160
6 Replies

9. Programming

Socket programming

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm working on new project for last few days and this forum already helped me on couple of occasions. I don't have any prior experience with network programming so I'll appreciate any advise given. I'm trying to do the following: 1. open user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: _thomas
2 Replies

10. Programming

socket programming

how to include socket.h in visual studio 2005.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asd123
2 Replies
RAW(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    RAW(8)

NAME
raw - bind a Linux raw character device SYNOPSIS
raw /dev/raw/raw<N> <major> <minor> raw /dev/raw/raw<N> /dev/<blockdev> raw -q /dev/raw/raw<N> raw -qa DESCRIPTION
raw is used to bind a Linux raw character device to a block device. Any block device may be used: at the time of binding, the device driver does not even have to be accessible (it may be loaded on demand as a kernel module later). raw is used in two modes: it either sets raw device bindings, or it queries existing bindings. When setting a raw device, /dev/raw/raw<N> is the device name of an existing raw device node in the filesystem. The block device to which it is to be bound can be specified either in terms of its major and minor device numbers, or as a path name /dev/<blockdev> to an existing block device file. The bindings already in existence can be queried with the -q option, with is used either with a raw device filename to query that one device, or with the -a option to query all bound raw devices. Once bound to a block device, a raw device can be opened, read and written, just like the block device it is bound to. However, the raw device does not behave exactly like the block device. In particular, access to the raw device bypasses the kernel's block buffer cache entirely: all I/O is done directly to and from the address space of the process performing the I/O. If the underlying block device driver can support DMA, then no data copying at all is required to complete the I/O. Because raw I/O involves direct hardware access to a process's memory, a few extra restrictions must be observed. All I/Os must be cor- rectly aligned in memory and on disk: they must start at a sector offset on disk, they must be an exact number of sectors long, and the data buffer in virtual memory must also be aligned to a multiple of the sector size. The sector size is 512 bytes for most devices. Use the /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices file to define the set of raw device mappings automatically created during the system startup sequence. The format of the file is the same used in the command line with the exception that the "raw" command itself is omitted. OPTIONS
-q Set query mode. raw will query an existing binding instead of setting a new one. -a With -q , specifies that all bound raw devices should be queried. -h provides a usage summary. BUGS
The Linux dd (1) command does not currently align its buffers correctly, and so cannot be used on raw devices. Raw I/O devices do not maintain cache coherency with the Linux block device buffer cache. If you use raw I/O to overwrite data already in the buffer cache, the buffer cache will no longer correspond to the contents of the actual storage device underneath. This is deliberate, but is regarded either a bug or a feature depending on who you ask! AUTHOR
Stephen Tweedie (sct@redhat.com) Version 0.1 Aug 1999 RAW(8)