Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running scripts via su
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running scripts via su Post 302286466 by ravi.sri24 on Wednesday 11th of February 2009 08:44:58 AM
Old 02-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by otheus
The user "bin" doesn't have a home directory, or if it does, it's not the one shared by root, and so there is no profile to load. You can fix this by going into the passwd table and giving bin a home directory, such as "/root" or "/" or a new directory like "/home/bin" and installing an appropriate .*shrc file there.

Hi Thanks for the reply, I have the bin direcotry and when the run the start.sh script file it's running fine but when am running the start.sh using the root shell by using the su command it's not working

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running scripts parallely

Hi, Posting my first query in this Forum,here's my query i want to execute 100 .sql files in unix having some code for connecting with db and executing procedures inside that,that to be run parallel like threads.want to run all the 100 .sql files simultanously. thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santho
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripts running under different users

what command can i use to tell if a script is running under different users? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csnewbie
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running scripts from home

I have created a Bourne shell script that helps with metric counting and it has to be run in a ClearCase view. It has been placed in a directory where if User A cd'd to it and runs it, a bunch of errors occur. Because this is a tool that several users would want access to and the program assumes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastachef
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts unattended

Hi guys just wondering how i could make one of my scripts run unattended without the use of cron? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically Running Scripts

Can someone advise me how to get started automatically running scripts? I believe it has something to do with cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffreydavisjr
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts within scripts from cron

Hi all, I have set up a cron job which calls another shell script shell script which in turn calls a Java process. The cron tab looks so. 0,30 7-18 * * 1-5 /u01/home/weblogic/brp/bin/checkstatus.sh >> /u01/home/weblogic/logs/checkstatus.log The checkstatus.sh scripts looks like this. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running 2 scripts one after the other using cron

I would like to run two scripts using cron one immediately after the other. Is it enough to put them one after another in the cron file to run at the same time, or will this cause them to run concurrently? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3210
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

running scripts in minicom

Hi, I am new to use minicom. I want script to run on minicom with username and password as automated.(Expect). please could anyone suggest the sample code for it. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
2 Replies

9. Solaris

running scripts from cron

I need to run a script (from cron) that runs a second script. What worries me is that second script, when run from bash, upon finishing doesn't return to bash unless I press the 'Enter' key. I presume that's because last command in that script ends with & Could that be a problem for cron?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts from a list

I am writing a bash script to run test some scripts. The names scripts of the scripts to tests are stored in an array. scptArr='chcksfrd.bash' scptArr='compute-misfit.bash' scptArr='compute-travel-times.bash' scptArr='create-data-tinv.bash' scptArr='create-docs.bash' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies
chroot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 chroot(8)

NAME
chroot - Changes the root directory of a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot directory command DESCRIPTION
Only root can use the chroot command. The chroot command changes the root directory from / to the specified directory when the command executes. (The command specified includes both the command name as well as any arguments.) Consequently, the root of any path (as indicated by the first / (slash) in the pathname) changes to directory and is always relative to the current root. Even if the chroot command is in effect, directory is relative to the current root of the running process. Several programs may not operate properly after chroot executes. You must ensure that all vital files are present in the new root file system and the relevant pathnames for the files map correctly in the new root file system. For example, the ls -l command fails to give user and group names if the new root file system does not have a copy of the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. If the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files in the new root file system represent different user and group names, then the output from the ls -l command will be based on those names, not the ones for the system's own name database. Utilities that depend on description files produced by the ctab command may also fail if the required description files are not present in the new root file system. The chroot program uses the execv() function to invoke the specified command. As a consequence, the command specified must be an exe- cutable binary, not a shell script. Further, if the program requires indirect loading (for example, due to unresolved symbols requiring use of a shared library), then /sbin/loader as well as any files it requires (for example, shared libraries) must be present in the new root file system in the appropriate locations. EXAMPLES
To run a subshell with another file system as the root, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /sbin/sh The command shown in the previous example spec- ifies a change from the current root file system to the one mounted on /mnt/dsk13a while /sbin/sh (which itself is relative to the new root file system) executes. When /bin/sh executes, the original root file system is inaccessible. The file system mounted on /mnt/dsk13a must contain the standard directories of a root file system. In particular, the shell looks for commands in /sbin, /bin, and /usr/bin (among others) on the new root file system. Running the /sbin/sh command creates a subshell that runs as a separate process from the original shell. Press to exit the subshell and return to the original shell. This restores the environment of the original shell, including the meanings of the current directory (.) and the root directory (/). To run a command in another root file system and save the output on the initial root file system, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /bin/cc -E /u/bob/prog.c > prep.out The previous command runs the /bin/cc command with /mnt/dsk13a as the specified root file system. It compiles the /mnt/dsk13a/u/bob/prog.c file, reads the #include files from the /mnt/dsk13a/usr/include directory, and puts the compiled text in the prep.out file on the initial root file system. To create a file relative to the original root rather than the new one, use this syntax and enter: chroot directory command > file CAUTIONS
If special files in the new root have different major and minor device numbers than the initial root directory, it is possible to overwrite the file system. FILES
Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cc(1), cpp(1), ls(1), sh(1) Functions: chdir(2), chroot(2) exec(2) delim off chroot(8)