Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem about '..' in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem about '..' in bash Post 302286381 by usfish on Wednesday 11th of February 2009 01:35:41 AM
Old 02-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfajohnson

"cd ../$USER" will not place you in your home directory unless you are in a directory on the same level as your home directory.

You may be thinking of:

Code:
cd ~user

That will not work with a variable unless you use eval:

Code:
eval "cd ~$USER"

To go to your home directory, use cd with no directory.
Hi, thank you for your prompt response. I missed that condition. It is from the home directory and you type "..", and they meant to ask about ".." instead of $USER I guess.

I think there might be chance that bash fails on symbolic link?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash while loop problem

Hi, I'm having a problem with the while loop in bash. I try the following script: #!/bin/bash while true do echo "test" done When I try this, it gives me this error: while: Too few arguments. What am I doing wrong? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kweekwom
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash problem

Hello there, I'm a beginner in bash programining and I have a problem with the interpretetion of the code: sed -e "s/\(*\):.*/\1/" in this for loop: for process in $(sed -e "s/\(*\):.*/\1/" /etc/passwd) thx for any help edgehead (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgehead
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash problem

I have a ksh script with the following code and working fine under ksh. IFS=$IFS IFS=: while read a b c do test "$a" = "$oraserver" && { orahome=$b; break; } echo $orahome done < /var/opt/oracle/oratab2 IFS=$_IFS ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash problem with if

#!/bin/bash # This script takes two arguments: <path> and <dir>. It has to copy in <dir> #+ all regular files in <path> with .c extension containining at least one while #+ instruction and one if instruction. if then for file in $(ls "$1" | grep "\.c$") do if # doesn't... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luke Bonham
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash problem

hello i am new with linux hello unix forum. i have big problem i want to install the samp server for every user folder for ex.. samp for my frined name fred fredsamp then i want create more samp to my firend lee i want folder name will be leesamp i want to know how make the script put the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mage200
0 Replies

6. Solaris

bash problem?

I am using SunOS 5.9 and have the following outcome when using the sh and bash shells; has anyone else had this: (tests behave differently) bash-2.05$ ksh $ if echo $SHELL; uname -a;; then echo yessssssssssssss; else echo nooooooooooooooo; fi SunOS s036cln001014 5.9 Generic_118558-27 sun4u... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cliffcard
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with bash if

Hi, i am making a little script that when its invoked with p or f, it will do different things (p will ask the user to input an string and it will count its words , and f will ask the user a directory and will list the number of files in that directory. But if wont get the comparation string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lamachejo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

zero padding problem (bash)

Hi there, I need to loop some values, for i in $(seq $first $last) do does something here donefor $first and $last, i need it to be of fixed length 5. so if the input is 1, i need to add zeros in front such that it becomes 00001. It loops till 99999 for example, but the length has to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jremio
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem With Bash Scripting

What's up guys, I am currently trying to figure out the answer to this question and I cannot for the life of me! The question is : "Explain how to do the following in UNIX/Linux shell script. You are not expected to remember the exact command syntax, but explain approximately how you would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malikirl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

A bash problem

Hi, I'm fairly new to unix, and I have the following problem: I know that if I type, "ps -ef | grep process", this will return some information about the process named 'process'. What I need this to do is be piped to an extra search that pick's out process' PID. How do I do this? Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogof_tom
5 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)