Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep limitation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep limitation Post 302285999 by pludi on Tuesday 10th of February 2009 05:27:36 AM
Old 02-10-2009
Code:
$ ls -1 File.*.txt | xargs grep ^50 | "some awk process"
or
$ find . -type f -name 'File.*.txt' -exec grep ^50 '{}' ';' | "some awk process"
or
$ awk '/^50/ "some awk process"'

Third one is probably the fastest.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find limitation

Hi , i'm trying to use "find "command with "-size "option but i encounter 2gb file limitation. Can you confirm this limitation ? Is there a simple way to do the same thing ? My command is : <clazz01g-notes01>/base/base01 # find /base/base01 -name '*.nsf' -size +5242880000c -exec ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX 11i - File Size Limitation And Number Of Folders Limitation

Hi All, Can anyone please clarify me the following questions: 1. Is there any file size limitation in HP-UX 11i, that I can able to create upto certain size of file (say 2 GB) and not more then that???? 2. At max. how many files we can able to keep inside a folder???? 3. How many... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundeep_mohanty
2 Replies

3. Programming

data type limitation

I am writing some code to do analysis on the file system (HP-UX 11.11). I am using stat(..) to get file information. My problem is that the file-size may exceed the data types defined in 'sys/stat.h' & 'sys/types.h' respectively. Thus file-sizes in the Giga-byte range are not read correctly.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALTRUNVRSOFLN
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitation of ls command

Hi, Iam using an alias to get the file count from one directory using normal ls command like ls file*|wc -l.If my file increases more than 35,000 ,my alias is not working.It shows that arg list too long. is that can be limitation of ls or problem in alias? I would appreciate if anyone can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this a bug or a limitation?

Hi, I'm having a problem with a while loop syntax that doesn't seem to loop correctly. TODAY=`date +%d%m%Y` while read hostname #for hostname in $(cat $CONFIG) do OUTFILE=/tmp/health_check.$hostname.$TODAY if then touch $OUTFILE func_header else rm $OUTFILE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk limitation

Hi All, I have an awk code below. I have an input file which has a line which has a last field with about 4000 characters and it pop up an error stated below. It is too much for awk to take ? Awk Code: {if( $NF == "2007" && $1 == "**" ) LINE = $0;} END{printf("%20s\n",LINE); } Error:... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
28 Replies

7. HP-UX

Limitation on *.ext

Is there a size limit when passing an argument using wildcards? I.E. when I pass an argument in the form (like) "ftp_auto *.txt" - is there a limitation on the size of UNIX expanding "*.txt" ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vslewis
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitation on rm command

Hi all, does any one know ,if there is any limitation on rm command limitation referes here as a size . Ex:when my script try to rum rm command which have size of nearly 20-22 GB ..CPU load gets high ? if anyone know the relation of CPU load and limitation of rm command . (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteshagrawal06
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limitation in addition

whats wrong with this addition? Whats the maximum number of digits can be handled? pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ const=201234454654768979799999 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ let new+=const pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ echo $new -2152890657037557890 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

10. AIX

What is the limitation in AIX?

Hi All, i got few questions... 1) What is the maximum number of files that we can save under a single directory in AIX ? (* we have enough storage/disk space) 2) And what is the maximum number of sub - directories in side a directory? I know that...every directory is a (special)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
11 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)