Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Echo behavior
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echo behavior Post 302285937 by Saurabh78 on Tuesday 10th of February 2009 01:52:33 AM
Old 02-10-2009
Echo behavior

Echo is removing extra blank spaces. See the command.

export INSTALLDIR=”First Second /Two Space”
echo $INSTALLDIR
out put: First Second /Two Space
Here only on blnak space is present while with command

Echo “$INSTALLDIR”
Out put: ”First Second /Two Space”
It's correct output with two blank spaces.
Any one can pls. explains why echo is behaving like this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ls behavior

I put this here because it is a 'behavior' type question.. I seem to remember doing ls .* and getting all the .-files, like .profile .login etc. But ls .* doesn't do that, it lsts the contents of every .*-type subdirectory. Is it supposed to? I should think that a -R should be given to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AtleRamsli
10 Replies

2. Programming

Behavior of pthreads

Hi All, I ve written a small program to get started off with pthreads. I somehow feel the program doesnt meet the purpose. Please find the code and the output below. Please find my question at the bottom. #include <pthread.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> void *PrintThread1(void... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhrraj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed behavior on hp-ux

the sed command: sed 's/^*//' file does not work on HP-UX :-( but it works fine on Linux, content of file: <tab><tab>hello output should be: hello Any ideas?? Thank you Andy (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Unusual Behavior?

Our comp-operator has come across a peculiar ‘feature'. We have this directory where we save all the reports that were generated for a particular department for only one calendar year. Currently there are 45,869 files. When the operator tried to backup that drive it started to print a flie-listing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vslewis
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected Echo Behavior

Hello all, I have a basic issue that I can't seem to search for since I'm not sure how to describe the behavior. Could anyone kindly assist the novice? (Sample) File Data: bundle-ppp-1/1.78 bundle-ppp-1/2.80 bundle-ppp-1/1.79 bundle-ppp-1/2.81 bundle-ppp-1/1.80 bundle-ppp-1/2.82... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjrupp
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Behavior

Linux Release Uname details Data file Ive been at the command line for some time. Back as far as SCO and Interactive Unix. I have always used this construct without issues. I want to isolate the ip / field 1. As you can see .. the first line is "skipped". This works as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
6 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)