Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: zfs and flash archives
Operating Systems Solaris zfs and flash archives Post 302285208 by incredible on Saturday 7th of February 2009 10:48:35 PM
Old 02-07-2009
You can create a flash archive from a system that is using ZFS, as a flash archive is just an archive of the data on the system, using cpio or pax. However, until the install software can create ZFS file systems, you cannot restore that flash archive and have an identical system

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

flash archives

HI, are you supposed to run flarcreate in multi user mode? or should you do it in single user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. Solaris

bootable X86 dvd and flash archives

I have created a bootable DVD for X86 using a flash archive, the problem is that I have to specify the location at the beginning of the install. I have edited the any_machine profile under ./jumpstart_sample to contain the following install_type flash_install archive_location ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
4 Replies

5. Solaris

ZFS root + Flash archive in update7

Has ZFS root is being supported in flash archive in the recently released update 7 .. i read a specific patch has been released for this , can anyone let me know that , and have anybody tested it if its working fine or not ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Flash Archives - A little bit of help :-)

Hi all Okay, I know how to make flash archives, and I even know how to split them and extract files. But, Ive never used one to restore an OS drive and I might have to. Ive search around google, and seen different ideas / ways, but havent really come to a definate answer. So, lets... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

7. Solaris

zfs root flash archive issue

I have created a flash archive from a Ldom on T5220 with zfs root solaris 10_u8. But after creation of flar the info shows the content_architectures=sun4c,sun4d,sun4m,sun4u,sun4us,sun4s but not sun4v due to which i 'm unable to install this flash archive on another Ldom on the same host. Is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Flash Archive Jumpstart with multiple ZFS Pools

Hi, I'm trying to get a Flash Archive Jumpstart Running with ZFS Filesystem. For Testing I set up a VirtualBox VM with 2 Disks attached. On the first disk I have the ZFS root pool, on the second Disk I have some more ZFS Pools which I use for 2 additional Zones I've set up. Restoring works fine if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NoelzeN
1 Replies
ARCHIVE_WRITE_FORMAT(3) 				   BSD Library Functions Manual 				   ARCHIVE_WRITE_FORMAT(3)

NAME
archive_write_set_format_cpio, archive_write_set_format_pax, archive_write_set_format_pax_restricted, archive_write_set_format_shar, archive_write_set_format_shar_dump, archive_write_set_format_ustar -- functions for creating archives LIBRARY
Streaming Archive Library (libarchive, -larchive) SYNOPSIS
#include <archive.h> int archive_write_set_format_cpio(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_pax(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_pax_restricted(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_shar(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_shar_dump(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_ustar(struct archive *); DESCRIPTION
These functions set the format that will be used for the archive. The library can write POSIX octet-oriented cpio format archives, POSIX-standard ``pax interchange'' format archives, traditional ``shar'' ar- chives, enhanced ``dump'' shar archives that store a variety of file attributes and handle binary files, and POSIX-standard ``ustar'' ar- chives. The pax interchange format is a backwards-compatible tar format that adds key/value attributes to each entry and supports arbitrary filenames, linknames, uids, sizes, etc. ``Restricted pax interchange format'' is the library default; this is the same as pax format, but suppresses the pax extended header for most normal files. In most cases, this will result in ordinary ustar archives. RETURN VALUES
These functions return ARCHIVE_OK on success, or ARCHIVE_FATAL. ERRORS
Detailed error codes and textual descriptions are available from the archive_errno() and archive_error_string() functions. SEE ALSO
tar(1), libarchive(3), archive_write(3), archive_write_set_options(3), cpio(5), mtree(5), tar(5) BSD
February 2, 2012 BSD