Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting returning un executed string to shell prompt Post 302285100 by sunpraveen on Saturday 7th of February 2009 07:03:01 AM
Old 02-07-2009
John,

You can execute any command by modifying the first line in the script.
Code:
command=`echo "[your_command]"

eg:

command=`echo "date"`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

string returning function

I have two string returning function in ESQL/C char *segment_name(lbuffer) char *lbuffer; {..... and char *get_bpdvalue(f_name) char *f_name; {...... both declared above main() char *get_bpdvalue(); char *segment_name(); my problem is segment_name works on sprintf and strcpy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisc
5 Replies

2. AIX

Help - Need simple example of VI executed in shell script

Please help - I have seen others ask this question but I need a simple example of using vi in a shell script. Once I enter VI the shell script does not execute the next commands until I q!. I invoke VI and start the edit process. I want to go to the third line and replace a character with a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: corsart
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit satus of a command which I executed in sftp prompt

Hi All, I need the exit status of a command which is executed through sftp connection. Example: sftp user@host <<EOF mkdir /home/karteek/testing put /home/xyz.txt /home/karteek/testing EOF ------ In the above example, I need the exit status of the put command. Please help me. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karteek
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verifying if the shell command executed or not?

Hi, I am working on a shell script that would verify if the mount command has executed or not. So , i have been doing this. mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom echo "$?" if ; then echo " Mount succesful" else echo " Mount unsuccessful" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
3 Replies

5. Programming

Problem returning string

Hi all, I have been trying with RSA encryption and decryption. I was able to write a code which worked fine. Then I split it into functions as part of a requirement. However I am not getting the expected result everytime. I know it has something to do with how I am returning but it just does not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Treasa
1 Replies

6. Programming

Returning local string value from a function in C

Hi, If I have a code like this, what are the potential problems do you see? const char* const retString() { return "hello"; /* string literal */ } My questions are: a) Since the string literal which is already a constant read only data (cannot be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

7. AIX

Script not getting executed via cron but executes when executed manually.

Hi Script not getting executed via cron but executes successfully when executed manually. Please assist cbspsap01(appuser) /app/scripts > cat restart.sh #!/bin/ksh cd /app/bin date >>logfile.out echo "Restart has been started....." >>logfile.out date >>logfile.out initfnsw -y restart... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Procedure to be executed from shell scripts

Hi, I am looking for a script wherein i will be able to execute below procedures one by one in line and next procedures starts only when the previous one completes and also after execution of each procedure i will be getting a automted mail as "PL/SQL PROCEDURE SUCCESSFULLY EXCETUTED". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not getting executed

Hi As per my requirement when I run . ./file.sh am getting the following error -bash:ELF: command not found when i execute as ./file.sh it is getting executed.How to resolve this. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux/bash Script only working if executed from shell prompt

Hi, maybe I'm asking a VERY dumb question, but would anybody out there tell me, why this f****** script won't work if executed as a cronjob, but works fine if executed from a shell prompt? #! /bin/bash set PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin date >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beislhur
3 Replies
EXEC(3) 								 1								   EXEC(3)

exec - Execute an external program

SYNOPSIS
string exec (string $command, [array &$output], [int &$return_var]) DESCRIPTION
exec(3) executes the given $command. PARAMETERS
o $command - The command that will be executed. o $output - If the $output argument is present, then the specified array will be filled with every line of output from the command. Trailing whitespace, such as , is not included in this array. Note that if the array already contains some elements, exec(3) will append to the end of the array. If you do not want the function to append elements, call unset(3) on the array before passing it to exec(3). o $return_var - If the $return_var argument is present along with the $output argument, then the return status of the executed command will be written to this variable. RETURN VALUES
The last line from the result of the command. If you need to execute a command and have all the data from the command passed directly back without any interference, use the passthru(3) function. To get the output of the executed command, be sure to set and use the $output parameter. EXAMPLES
Example #1 An exec(3) example <?php // outputs the username that owns the running php/httpd process // (on a system with the "whoami" executable in the path) echo exec('whoami'); ?> NOTES
Warning When allowing user-supplied data to be passed to this function, use escapeshellarg(3) or escapeshellcmd(3) to ensure that users can- not trick the system into executing arbitrary commands. Note If a program is started with this function, in order for it to continue running in the background, the output of the program must be redirected to a file or another output stream. Failing to do so will cause PHP to hang until the execution of the program ends. Note When safe mode is enabled, you can only execute files within the safe_mode_exec_dir. For practical reasons, it is currently not allowed to have .. components in the path to the executable. Warning With safe mode enabled, the command string is escaped with escapeshellcmd(3). Thus, echo y | echo x becomes echo y | echo x. SEE ALSO
system(3), passthru(3), escapeshellcmd(3), pcntl_exec(3), backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group EXEC(3)