Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pressing Enter (bash)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pressing Enter (bash) Post 302285079 by cfajohnson on Saturday 7th of February 2009 02:36:40 AM
Old 02-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuzan
Hey, I'm writing this BASH script, I recently started learning BASH after I did Java and I'm pretty new to the syntax.

Anways, what I want to do is simple, I coudn't find the right information though:

Let's say I make a :

read -p "Press ENTER to go back to menu" choice

What is the command that would let me perform this? I need to way for the User to press ENTER, not a silly Y/N. (It's for general accomplishment actually haha).

Your code will work as is.

The script will wait until the user presses ENTER. You might add an -s option to prevent any other characters being echoed to the screen, and you don't need a variable name since you aren't going to check it:

Code:
read -sp "Press ENTER to go back to menu"
echo "Thank you!"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pressing backspace key simulates enter key

Hi, Whenever i press the backspace key, a new line appears, i.e. it works like a enter key. :confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Any Way to Get User Input Without Requiring Them to Hit the Enter Key?

I'm working on making a menu system on an HP-UX box with Bash on it. The old menu system presents the users with a standard text menu with numbers to make selections. I'm re-working the system and I would like to provide something more akin to iterative search in Emacs. I have a list of 28... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pressing "Enter/Space bar" using Net::TELNET? in Perl

I'm trying to learn how to get my script to execute the enter button when it telnets into a router and the router displays output but you need to press the space bar or enter button to continue displaying my output of the router. How is this done? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xmaverick
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter a return key in bash script?

Hi, I'm porting an install script from AIX to Red Hat (2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP) I have this script working in both AIX and HP-UX. The script is a wrapper for a Micro Focus Server Express install program. It responds to the install program questions with a here-now list. Responses includes... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: duker61
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pressing enter and script still goes on

i have a bash shell script and i press enter and the script still continues on? how do i stop this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to write a command that keeps pressing enter key in regular interval

Hi, I m new to linux, can you pls help me to write a command/ script that keeps pressing the enter key in regular interval. Thx, Linux1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mylinux1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - start search by using search button or by pressing the enter key

#Build label and text box $main->Label( -text => "Input string below:" )->pack(); $main->Entry( -textvariable => \$text456 )->pack(); $main->Button( -text => "Search", -command => sub { errchk ($text456) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass enter key or selected character in bash script?

hi, i've bash script thats working... but now i need to add a line....that prompts for user input....like yes and 1 as complete install.... so here's how it looks... $ cd 9200 (cd into directory) $./install (hv to type ./install to run install then ask for) ----do you want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kernel11
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input password to bash script, save, and enter when needed

I am looking for a way to start a script and have it prompt for a password that will be used later on in the script to SSH to another host and to SFTP. I don't want the password to be hard coded. Below is my script with the actual IP's and usernames removed. #!/usr/bin/expect -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script termination without pressing Enter key[nohup]

I have a script in which we have used nohup. Once script is executed it will be terminated only when enter key is pressed. I want the script to be terminated without pressing enter key nohup imqbrokerd -name user_id port 2>1 1>$home_`date` & I am a newbie to shell, Kindly please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suganbabu
3 Replies
run(1F) 							   FMLI Commands							   run(1F)

NAME
run - run an executable SYNOPSIS
run [ -s] [-e] [-n] [-t string] program DESCRIPTION
The run command runs program, using the PATH variable to find it. By default, when program has completed, the user is prompted (Press ENTER to continue:), before being returned to FMLI. The argument program is a system executable followed by its options (if any). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e If -e is specified, the user will be prompted before returning to FMLI only if there is an error condition -n If -n is specified, the user will never be prompted before returning to FMLI (useful for programs like vi, in which the user must do some specific action to exit in the first place). -s The -s option means "silent", implying that the screen will not have to be repainted when program has completed. Note that the -s option should only be used when program does not write to the terminal. In addition, when -s is used, program cannot be interrupted, even if it recognizes interrupts. -tstring If -t is specified, string is the name this process will have in the pop-up menu generated by the frm-list command. This feature requires the executable facesuspend (see face(1)) to suspend the process and return to the FMLI appli- cation. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample output of run command Here is a menu that uses run: menu="Edit special System files" name="Password file" action=`run -e vi /etc/passwd` name="Group file" action=`run -e vi /etc/group` name="My .profile" action=`run -n vi $HOME/.profile` ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
face(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Nov 1999 run(1F)