Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is Linux a RTOS?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is Linux a RTOS? Post 302285013 by Perderabo on Friday 6th of February 2009 07:52:28 PM
Old 02-06-2009
No, Unix is a timesharing OS. Over the years a number of Real Time extentions have been added to Unix. This, combined with the incredible increases in CPU power, has enabled Unix to tackle some real-time applications.

A cousin of Unix called Neutrino might interest you. It is a true RTOS and it is a true microkernel based OS.

QNX Neutrino RTOS

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OSE RTOS

Hi Folks, I am supposed to start off with a new project which is OSE operating system based. I am not having any documentation or material which can provide in-site information on this OS. But happen to hear from my team that it is based on primitive unix. Could some one help me out? Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: serpens
1 Replies
UNIMPLEMENTED(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						  UNIMPLEMENTED(2)

NAME
afs_syscall, break, ftime, gtty, lock, mpx, phys, prof, profil, stty, ulimit - unimplemented system calls SYNOPSIS
Unimplemented system calls. DESCRIPTION
These system calls are not implemented in the Linux 2.0 kernel. RETURN VALUE
These system calls always return -1 and set errno to ENOSYS. NOTES
Note that ftime(3), profil(3) and ulimit(3) are implemented as library functions. Some system calls, like ioperm(2), iopl(2), ptrace(2) and vm86(2) only exist on certain architectures. Some system calls, like ipc(2) and {create,init,delete}_module(2) only exist when the Linux kernel was built with support for them. SEE ALSO
obsolete(2) Linux 2.0 1998-06-12 UNIMPLEMENTED(2)