Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX "too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script Post 302284905 by bakunin on Friday 6th of February 2009 01:15:08 PM
Old 02-06-2009
Hmm, when a command as small as "/usr/bin/rm" does not fit into memory any more (as per your first post here) there is something seriously wrong.

If the problem goes away temporarily with a reboot chances are you have a memory leak problem. To track this sort of problems down is sometimes hard, because of the ephemeral nature of these. You could wait until the problem shows up and then use "ps -Alo vsz<,other options>" to get the "virtual memory footprint" of every process running. See the man page of "ps" for more information about possible options.

Another common source of problems are java processes, which are generally known to be memory hogs. Find out if there are java processes running ("ps -fe | grep java") and if there are some you have a likely cause for your problem.

Further lets examine the overall memory situation of your machine. Please post the output of the following commands:

"svmon -G" (only as root)

"vmstat -v"

"lsps -a"

Also examine the crontabs of all users on the machine. Maybe some memory hog is started regularly and this is whats causing your problems.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Linux

Help req for...shell script to catch "db2 connect" errors ...

Hello friends, Assume that, I am trying to execute a "db2 connect" command from Linux shell prompt via a shell script called "sample" sample db2 connect to bas39 $sample If the database is not present its should display a custom error message by catching the error message given by db2.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
install-memo(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   install-memo(1)

NAME
install-memo - installs a new memo in a Palm Computing Device SYNOPSIS
install-memo -p <port> [-c category ] filename [filename filename ...] DESCRIPTION
install-memo allows the user to write one or more files as a new memo or memos, respectively, onto the Palm handheld device. OPTIONS -p --port <port>, Use device file port to communicate with the Palm handheld device. If this is not specified, will look for the $PILOTPORT environ- ment variable. If both are not found, will fall back to /dev/pilot. -h --help Display help synopsis for install-memo -v --version Display version of install-memo -c category Install memo(s) to category category by default. Normally install-memo uses Unfiled as the default category. -q Causes install-memo to be quiet and not prompt you to press the HotSync button. -r Replace all memos in the category specified by the -c category option. -t Use the filename as the title for the memo. (The title is the first line of a memo.) USAGE
The program will connect to the Palm handheld device, and write the file or files given on the command line into the MemoPad application on the Palm. KNOWN BUGS
The Palm Device may have a maximum length on memo sizes. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at http://bugs.pilot-link.org/ AUTHOR
install-memo was written by Damien P. Neil <neild@rpi.edu> Free Software Foundation Palm Computing Device Tools install-memo(1)