Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep to return a code from accessing variable file name Post 302284732 by otheus on Friday 6th of February 2009 08:33:15 AM
Old 02-06-2009
I don't think it was your typo, Susan. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accessing shell script variable in file

Hi, I have a shell script in which there is a file conn_$temp where $temp has the pid of the shell script. in this shell script i have an embedded awk script that must read the file while ((getline < "conn_$temp") > 0) However due to the "$temp" in the file name, the awk script is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: HIMANI
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code of command assigned to variable

How do I evaluate the result of a command assigned to a variable?? Example: var1=`cmd` rc=$? rc will be the result of the assignment rather than cmd since it executes after. How do I evaluate the result of the command itself? Cheers..:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: browndr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

COMPARING STRING VALUES TO A VARIABLE and return code dignostics

Hey Folks and Gurus there I am trying to replicate this logic in bash : (1) if ; then function1 parameters & function2 parameters & fi Is there an easy method esp one with regex that can do this comparision. e.g. $var is compared to this list ( case regardless ) (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sieger007
1 Replies

5. Programming

Accessing environmet variable in xml file

Hi I have certain environmenet variables defined in .profile: export DBNAME="mydb" export DBHOST="devbox.us.abc.com" export DBPORT="1111" export PASSWORD="mypwd" export MMUSER="myid" I also have an xml file defined like: <CONFIG> <DEFAULTS operator="oraread"> <PROPERTY... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing a variable from another file

HI all, How can i access a variable that is defined in another file as: $$Name= "abhinav; in my script. The catch is that it has 2 $s behind it... Thnaks ---------- Post updated at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:29 AM ---------- the file from which i have to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping the empty file sends a non Zero return code

Hi, I have a shell script where I am trying to unzip bunch of files zip files one by one. But out of many zip files, if any one zip file is empty, the unzip command sends a non-zero return code and fails the script. I am trying to see if I can get a success error code even if the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep and a parameter file to return unique values

Hello Everyone! I have updated the first post so that my intentions are easier to understand, and also attached sample files (post #18). I have over 500 text files in a directory. Over 1 GB of data. The data in those files is organised in lines: My intention is to return one line per... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: clippertm
23 Replies
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep - A GNU grep-based mbox folder reader SYNOPSIS
#!/usr/bin/perl use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser; my $filename = 'mail/saved-mail'; my $filehandle = new FileHandle($filename); my $folder_reader = new Mail::Mbox::MessageParser( { 'file_name' => $filename, 'file_handle' => $filehandle, 'enable_grep' => 1, } ); die $folder_reader unless ref $folder_reader; # Any newlines or such before the start of the first email my $prologue = $folder_reader->prologue; print $prologue; # This is the main loop. It's executed once for each email while(!$folder_reader->end_of_file()); { my $email = $folder_reader->read_next_email(); print $email; } DESCRIPTION
This module implements a GNU grep-based mbox folder reader. It can only be used when GNU grep is installed on the system. Users must not instantiate this class directly--use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser instead. The base MessageParser module will automatically manage the use of grep and non-grep implementations. METHODS AND FUNCTIONS The following methods and functions are specific to the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep package. For additional inherited ones, see the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser documentation. $ref = new( { 'file_name' => <mailbox file name>, 'file_handle' => <mailbox file handle> }); <file_name> - The full filename of the mailbox <file_handle> - An opened file handle for the mailbox The constructor for the class takes two parameters. The file_name parameter is the filename of the mailbox. The file_handle argument is the opened file handle to the mailbox. Returns a reference to a Mail::Mbox::MessageParser object, or a string describing the error. BUGS
No known bugs. Contact david@coppit.org for bug reports and suggestions. AUTHOR
David Coppit <david@coppit.org>. LICENSE
This software is distributed under the terms of the GPL. See the file "LICENSE" for more information. HISTORY
This code was originally part of the grepmail distribution. See http://grepmail.sf.net/ for previous versions of grepmail which included early versions of this code. SEE ALSO
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser perl v5.10.1 2009-08-09 Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3pm)