Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep to return a code from accessing variable file name Post 302284732 by otheus on Friday 6th of February 2009 08:33:15 AM
Old 02-06-2009
I don't think it was your typo, Susan. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accessing shell script variable in file

Hi, I have a shell script in which there is a file conn_$temp where $temp has the pid of the shell script. in this shell script i have an embedded awk script that must read the file while ((getline < "conn_$temp") > 0) However due to the "$temp" in the file name, the awk script is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: HIMANI
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code of command assigned to variable

How do I evaluate the result of a command assigned to a variable?? Example: var1=`cmd` rc=$? rc will be the result of the assignment rather than cmd since it executes after. How do I evaluate the result of the command itself? Cheers..:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: browndr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

COMPARING STRING VALUES TO A VARIABLE and return code dignostics

Hey Folks and Gurus there I am trying to replicate this logic in bash : (1) if ; then function1 parameters & function2 parameters & fi Is there an easy method esp one with regex that can do this comparision. e.g. $var is compared to this list ( case regardless ) (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sieger007
1 Replies

5. Programming

Accessing environmet variable in xml file

Hi I have certain environmenet variables defined in .profile: export DBNAME="mydb" export DBHOST="devbox.us.abc.com" export DBPORT="1111" export PASSWORD="mypwd" export MMUSER="myid" I also have an xml file defined like: <CONFIG> <DEFAULTS operator="oraread"> <PROPERTY... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing a variable from another file

HI all, How can i access a variable that is defined in another file as: $$Name= "abhinav; in my script. The catch is that it has 2 $s behind it... Thnaks ---------- Post updated at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:29 AM ---------- the file from which i have to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping the empty file sends a non Zero return code

Hi, I have a shell script where I am trying to unzip bunch of files zip files one by one. But out of many zip files, if any one zip file is empty, the unzip command sends a non-zero return code and fails the script. I am trying to see if I can get a success error code even if the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep and a parameter file to return unique values

Hello Everyone! I have updated the first post so that my intentions are easier to understand, and also attached sample files (post #18). I have over 500 text files in a directory. Over 1 GB of data. The data in those files is organised in lines: My intention is to return one line per... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: clippertm
23 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)