Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting returning un executed string to shell prompt Post 302284610 by jvan on Thursday 5th of February 2009 11:37:25 PM
Old 02-06-2009
returning un executed string to shell prompt

Hi all, i'm pritty new to chell scripting

I'm trying to find a way to return a value to shell without it executing. is there a special character that will encase a sting including the command to a shell without executing, so waiting for the user to press enter.

say i wanted to return a value like "cd /usr/mydocs/mywrk/thedate/" but just have it sit in the shell.

anyway is this possible or am i waisting my time here

any answers would be greatly apreciated.

john

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

string returning function

I have two string returning function in ESQL/C char *segment_name(lbuffer) char *lbuffer; {..... and char *get_bpdvalue(f_name) char *f_name; {...... both declared above main() char *get_bpdvalue(); char *segment_name(); my problem is segment_name works on sprintf and strcpy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisc
5 Replies

2. AIX

Help - Need simple example of VI executed in shell script

Please help - I have seen others ask this question but I need a simple example of using vi in a shell script. Once I enter VI the shell script does not execute the next commands until I q!. I invoke VI and start the edit process. I want to go to the third line and replace a character with a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: corsart
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit satus of a command which I executed in sftp prompt

Hi All, I need the exit status of a command which is executed through sftp connection. Example: sftp user@host <<EOF mkdir /home/karteek/testing put /home/xyz.txt /home/karteek/testing EOF ------ In the above example, I need the exit status of the put command. Please help me. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karteek
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verifying if the shell command executed or not?

Hi, I am working on a shell script that would verify if the mount command has executed or not. So , i have been doing this. mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom echo "$?" if ; then echo " Mount succesful" else echo " Mount unsuccessful" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
3 Replies

5. Programming

Problem returning string

Hi all, I have been trying with RSA encryption and decryption. I was able to write a code which worked fine. Then I split it into functions as part of a requirement. However I am not getting the expected result everytime. I know it has something to do with how I am returning but it just does not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Treasa
1 Replies

6. Programming

Returning local string value from a function in C

Hi, If I have a code like this, what are the potential problems do you see? const char* const retString() { return "hello"; /* string literal */ } My questions are: a) Since the string literal which is already a constant read only data (cannot be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

7. AIX

Script not getting executed via cron but executes when executed manually.

Hi Script not getting executed via cron but executes successfully when executed manually. Please assist cbspsap01(appuser) /app/scripts > cat restart.sh #!/bin/ksh cd /app/bin date >>logfile.out echo "Restart has been started....." >>logfile.out date >>logfile.out initfnsw -y restart... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Procedure to be executed from shell scripts

Hi, I am looking for a script wherein i will be able to execute below procedures one by one in line and next procedures starts only when the previous one completes and also after execution of each procedure i will be getting a automted mail as "PL/SQL PROCEDURE SUCCESSFULLY EXCETUTED". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not getting executed

Hi As per my requirement when I run . ./file.sh am getting the following error -bash:ELF: command not found when i execute as ./file.sh it is getting executed.How to resolve this. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux/bash Script only working if executed from shell prompt

Hi, maybe I'm asking a VERY dumb question, but would anybody out there tell me, why this f****** script won't work if executed as a cronjob, but works fine if executed from a shell prompt? #! /bin/bash set PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin date >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beislhur
3 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). User Commands 06/24/2011 CHSH(1)