Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE user management - LDAP and local files Post 302284233 by otheus on Thursday 5th of February 2009 04:17:08 AM
Old 02-05-2009
Quote:
Their suggestion is that we run in parallel a set of local configured users and a set of LDAP configured users and both methods can coexist without conflicts.
That sounds like a bad idea; however, it could be a good idea if the local files are updated regularly from the LDAP files. Your servers should have both a "pull" and a "push" mechanism. Password information changes should always be against the master LDAP server. These changes should be pushed right away.

The biggest risk is if you have a user who is fired/terminated, and you need to shut off their account right away. That's another reason why you need the "push".

LDAP supports replication, so what you can do is run an LDAP mirroring service on each server. Each service is basically a slave to the master one. I believe this supports the push/pull thing I'm talking about, but I'm not 100% sure.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

ldap user disabled

Hi All, If ldap user is disabled on linux. Do you think ldap processes will still run while ldap user had been disabled? Thanks for any comment you may add. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

3. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to change normal user id to LDAP user id?

If I create a new user id test: mkuser id=400 test then I want it to LDAP user: chuser -R LDAP SYSTEM=LDAP registry=LDAP test It shows: 3004-687 User "test" does not exist. How to do? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

switch user from local user to root in perl

Hi Gurus, I have a script that requires me to switch from local user to root. Anyone who has an idea on this since when i switch user to root it requires me to input root password. It seems that i need to use expect module here, but i don't know how to create the object for this. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux

good evening .. I have a plea, who I can help me with a management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux I need for college .. .. and not told us no clue .. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex90
1 Replies

7. AIX

Mix LDAP and LOCAL user on AIX

Hello, I'm currently trying to mix local and LDAP users on an AIX 7.1. I've triied many things. My LDAP Server in on a CentOS - OpenLDAP (which works fine with linux). I'm currently stuck on AIX at how to declare LDAP AND Local users. Here's what i did : /usr/sbin/mksecldap -c -h 'ldap03'... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX_user_324891
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Switch from Local user to root user from a shell script?

Hi, I need to switch from local user to root user in a shell script. I need to make it automated so that it doesn't prompt for the root password. I heard the su command will do that work but it prompt for the password. and also can someone tell me whether su command spawns a new shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Little
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AD Group Policy Management and Kerberos / LDAP

Has anyone attempted to define GPO / HBAC policies in Windows Server 2012 that could be respected by Kerberos/LDAP on AIX? I'm looking to associate servers to groups so that when a user part of a group tries to login to a host not associated with that group, it would be denied. This would allow... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pam.d and make difference between AD User and local user on Linux

Hello, i configured rhel linux 6 with AD directory to authorize windows users to connect on the system and it works. i have accounts with high privileges (oracle for example) if an account is created on the AD server i would to block him. I looked for how to do, for the moment all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincenzo
3 Replies
GIT-REQUEST-PULL(1)						    Git Manual						       GIT-REQUEST-PULL(1)

NAME
git-request-pull - Generates a summary of pending changes SYNOPSIS
git request-pull [-p] <start> <url> [<end>] DESCRIPTION
Generate a request asking your upstream project to pull changes into their tree. The request, printed to the standard output, begins with the branch description, summarizes the changes and indicates from where they can be pulled. The upstream project is expected to have the commit named by <start> and the output asks it to integrate the changes you made since that commit, up to the commit named by <end>, by visiting the repository named by <url>. OPTIONS
-p Include patch text in the output. <start> Commit to start at. This names a commit that is already in the upstream history. <url> The repository URL to be pulled from. <end> Commit to end at (defaults to HEAD). This names the commit at the tip of the history you are asking to be pulled. When the repository named by <url> has the commit at a tip of a ref that is different from the ref you have locally, you can use the <local>:<remote> syntax, to have its local name, a colon :, and its remote name. EXAMPLE
Imagine that you built your work on your master branch on top of the v1.0 release, and want it to be integrated to the project. First you push that change to your public repository for others to see: git push https://git.ko.xz/project master Then, you run this command: git request-pull v1.0 https://git.ko.xz/project master which will produce a request to the upstream, summarizing the changes between the v1.0 release and your master, to pull it from your public repository. If you pushed your change to a branch whose name is different from the one you have locally, e.g. git push https://git.ko.xz/project master:for-linus then you can ask that to be pulled with git request-pull v1.0 https://git.ko.xz/project master:for-linus GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-REQUEST-PULL(1)