Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename files - need help with array? Post 302283508 by quirkasaurus on Tuesday 3rd of February 2009 11:47:01 AM
Old 02-03-2009
A couple of things:

First of all, this:

Code:
FNAMETMP=/usr/bin/find $MAINDIR -name *.txt -newer $FILECOMP 2>>$LOGDIR

Will not work.
I think what you want is:

Code:
/usr/bin/find $MAINDIR -name *.txt -newer $FILECOMP | head -1 | read FNAMETMP
echo $FNAMETMP

Secondly, it's better to redirect all LOGGING commands all at once.
There's a variety of ways to do this.... however, my preferred way
is through a subshell and redirection. It's simple and straightforward:

Code:
(
date
echo some other commands
echo more commands
echo etc...
date
) > LOG 2>&1

This way, you don't clutter up code with a bunch of ">> $LOGFILE" stuff.
Plus, you save stdout and stderr in one fell swoop and cannot lose anything.

I don't understand why you'd want to clobber a bunch of *.txt files with *.csv
files in this way....

it seems to me that this:

Code:
(
find $MAINDIR -name \*.csv -print |
while read file_nm ; do

### change csv to txt
  tmp=${file_nm%.csv}.txt

### remove directory name ( like basename )
  new_file_nm=${tmp##*/}

mv $file_nm archive/$new_file_nm

scp archive/$new_file_nm $SCPINFO

done
) > $LOGFILE 2>&1

... is what you're looking for.

It finds a bunch of *.csv files.
Moves them to an archive directory as *.txt files.
Then scp's them over to somewhere else.
And stores any error messages in a log file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename files?

:confused: How can i rename a file 'x.log' to 'x_20020512 072909.log' :eek: i'm using perl, with system command from a unix web server, and need to timestamp my logs if the above format (filename _ year month day hr min sec .log) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CompuTelSystem
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files

hey all, I have files in the format of ABCD20061101 and ABCDEF20061101 in one directory, I would like to change all ABCD20061101 to ABCDEF20061101 and the problem is if I do a simple pattern match of ABCD, then those ABCDEF20061101 would also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files Ax based on strings found in files Bx

Hi, I'm not very experienced in shell scripting and that's probably why I came across the following problem: I do have several hundred pairs of text files (PF00x.spl and PF00x.shd) where the first file (PF00x.spl) needs to be renamed according a string that is included in the second file... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: inCH
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename files

Hi Guys, I have to rename about 180 files in different folders in linux. For example, abc_110117.txt eff_110117.txt zzz_110117.txt After renaming the files, these files should like like abc.txt eff.txt zzz.txt I created a small script to rename the files like ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename all .sh files to .pl

I have various .sh and .pl files in one directory. I want to rename all the .sh files to .pl i.e testscript.sh --> testscript.pl I am trying to use mv *.sh *.pl It doesnt work though!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjones
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename Files in array

Hi Experts, I am new to Unix i wrote below code to rename if the file size less than 8MB. I might have more than one file to rename sometimes:wall:. Please help me in writing the code for multiple files. Eg:- 071720112200.file001 and 071820112200.file001 Single File... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajubollas
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename several files

Hi, I would like to rename several files, for example: MSIRP_CatastropheLog_Data_Extract_-_TCAPMI_SMB_20111116_040028.txt MSIRP_CatastropheLog_Data_Extract_-_TCAPMI_SMB_20111117_040023.txt MSIRP_CatastropheLog_Data_Extract_-_TCAPMI_SMB_20111118_040039.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsoethe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to unzip files and Rename the Output-files

Hi all, I have a many folders with zipped files in them. The zipped files are txt files from different folders. The txt files have the same names. If i try to find . -type f -name "*.zip" -exec cp -R {} /myhome/ZIP \; it fails since the ZIP files from different folders have the same names and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmkenya
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files

I am getting some files with this mask: aaaa_SP_bbb.txt aaaa_FX_bbbb.txt aaaabbbb.txt I want to rename the files containing: _SP_ -> Rename - >> fileSP.TXT _FX_ -> Rename - >> fileFX.txt and other file that does not contain these words rename them: filenamexx.txt as I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jomeaide
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies
PROCESSCSV.PY(1)					      Virtualization Support						  PROCESSCSV.PY(1)

NAME
processcsv.py - process virt-top CSV files SUMMARY
virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv DESCRIPTION
virt-top is a top(1)-like utility for showing stats of virtualized domains. processcsv.py is a simple Python script that post-processes the output of "virt-top --csv". It is used like this: virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv The second command will overwrite the following files in the current directory: "global.csv" This contains the global (host) statistics columns from the CSV file. "domainNN.csv" (multiple files) For each libvirt domain ID NN, a file is created containing the per-domain statistics from the CSV file. SEE ALSO
virt-top(1) AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones <rjones @ redhat . com> COPYRIGHT
(C) Copyright 2007-2012 Red Hat Inc., Richard W.M. Jones http://libvirt.org/ This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. virt-top-1.0.8 2013-12-29 PROCESSCSV.PY(1)