Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting email to group-id is failing to receive Post 302283327 by otheus on Tuesday 3rd of February 2009 05:21:08 AM
Old 02-03-2009
You don't send email to a "group id". You must set up a forwards or alias file, create a name for that alias (usually the group name), and list each of the members in that group. In theory, you can dynamically generate that group on a daily basis. Or, you can have an email address tied to a program, which dynmacially determines the email list.

If you are using sendmail, the file you want to edit is /etc/aliases.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can send but not receive email

Hi, One of the users in our company can send but not receive email. We are using SENDMAIL in conjunction with procmail. The funny thing is that all his sent email is in his /var/spool/mail but the email client does not pick anything up! He is using IMAP. Anyone see have any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new to ldap, send email to a ou or group, and see a list from email client

hi, i'm running openldap on ubuntu 10.04, creating new items with apache directory studio (windows version). i use the ldap just as an address book to our small office (email clients are windows live mail 2009, 2011, microsoft outlook 2007 and 2010). a. i cant see a list of the contacts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: V4705
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script when I receive an email

Hi expert I wish to start a shell script when I receive an email. I modified the aliases file and I add this string as400nag: "|/home/nag-script/startstop/AS400-Boot.sh The solution works . When the as400nag user receive an email the /home/nag-script/startstop/AS400-Boot.sh starts .but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emi65
3 Replies

4. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Have yet to receive activation email

Good Afternoon, I attempted to register on this forum yesterday using the username 'DBirks', however I have yet to receive the required activation email. I have checked both my inbox and junk e-mail folder on my email client as well as on owa, but I have not seen any sign of it. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unable to receive mails from email relay server

Hi, I have reports that are generated in one server (10.61.1.108), hostname l28bi01. These reports are supposedly sent to a group of email addresses hourly via an email relay server. However, this is not happening. In sendmail.cf in bi01, the DS Smart Relay Host ip address is: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check email successful sent and receive

We have a unix/linux server , that send mass email from it , the emails will pass the smtp gateway , email server and sent to the client , but sometimes the client do not receive the mail , we do not know the reason and when it will happen . We would like to have a script that check when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust4
2 Replies
uupath(1)						      General Commands Manual							 uupath(1)

NAME
uupath, mkuupath - access and manage the pathalias database SYNOPSIS
pathsfile] mailaddress pathsfile DESCRIPTION
The commands, including and are targeted for removal from HP-UX; see the below. provides electronic message routing by expanding a simple UUCP address into a full UUCP path (see uucp(1)). For example, could be expanded into expands an address by parsing mailaddress for the dominant host (see below) and looking up the host in the appropriate database (see pathalias(1)). If the host is found in the database, the expanded address is written to the standard output. If the host is not found, writes the original address to the standard output and returns an exit status of 1. expects mailaddress to be in UUCP format (hostor ARPANET format (user@host). The option opens the database based on pathsfile rather than the default database based on This database must be a database created by con- sisting of the two files and The dominant host is the left-most UUCP host in mailaddress. If no UUCP host is found (no is in the address), assumes that the address is in the simple ARPANET format user@host. If the address does not match either format, writes the original address to the standard output and returns an exit status of 1. constructs a mail routing database by using the pathsfile data file obtained from (see pathalias(1)). as input. The recommended pathsfile location is because this is the default database used by The database files and are created by If these files already exist, they must be removed prior to running The option specifies verbose mode, which writes a line to the standard output for each entry written to the database. DIAGNOSTICS
returns an exit status of 1 and writes the original mailaddress to the standard output if the address is not found or is incorrectly for- matted. returns an exit status of 2 and prints a diagnostic message if the database files are not accessible, or if improper parameters are given. Otherwise, returns an exit status of 0. If the database files and already exist prior to running the message is displayed. These files must be removed before running WARNINGS
Use of commands, including and is discouraged because they are targeted for removal from HP-UX. Use ftp(1) or rcp(1) instead. AUTHOR
was developed by University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
pathalias(1), uucp(1). TO BE OBSOLETED uupath(1)