Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk line editing
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk line editing Post 302282908 by Franklin52 on Monday 2nd of February 2009 06:44:27 AM
Old 02-02-2009
Redirect the output of the awk command to a temporary file and replace the original file with it:

Code:
awk '...' file > tempfile
mv tempfile file

These are basic shell commands, have a read of one of the tutorials here:

https://www.unix.com/answers-frequent...tutorials.html

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

editing bash command line with vi

Is there a way using bash that I can edit a command line using vi. I.e. if I have a long command line and I want to edit it.....by typing vi and then having the command open in an editing window.... I beleive this can be done in k shell by pressing v....however can find out how this can be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing last line of a file

Hi All, Could you please help me out with this problem? I need to edit the last line of my file. Ex: The last line in my file will be say 000056000045 8 I need to subtract some number from the number 45 and replace the new number in its place. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anitha Chandran
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single line file editing command?

Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot about the various different text editors at my disposal through Unix, but I just can't seem to close the deal for what I am trying to do. Is there a way to issue a single line command to edit a file where pattern=x, and do it non-destructively AND in-place?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gator76
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line editing

I have some trouble editing a line. My aim is to edit the first line of a file.It will look the code and if there are dummy characters at the begininng of line before < it will erase. It is a php code.For instance: for instance if the first line is like %^<?php>sadsa</php>, it will change it to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: king87
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line/Variable Editing for Awk sed Cut

Hello, i have a file, i open the file and read the line, i want to get the first item in the csv file and also teh third+6 item and wirte it to a new csv file. only problem is that using echo it takes TOO LONG: please help a newbie. below is my code: WorkingDir=$1 FileName=`cut -d ',' -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limamichelle
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with editing 2nd line after match

Hi All I would like to break down each next line that matches SK1.chr* in this case NNNNNN.... into 100 characters each after SK1.chr*... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing the first line of file

I have a sample file as below :- RECORD_COUNT|2660|28606946.86|20110701122349694| adkad|wwsgesg|mkmk|FFFF|FAFAF|FFAF|FAFFFFA|5894858| I have to replace the second coulmn in the first row which is the count of no of lines in the file from a new variable . Also I have to delete the 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev Yadav
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing the next line of the pattern

Hi All, I am trying to edit the next line when there is a success for a pattern. For example: <nvname>abc</nvname> <nvvalue>1</nvvalue> <nvname>def</nvname> <nvvalue>2</nvvalue> once there is a hit for the string "abc" the value of the nvvalue should be replaced with the value we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulgupta
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing in vi - adding words to a line

i have lines in a file similar to this: results=$(echo Total: ${res} | command | command) now I need to add text before the word "results", but i dont know how to do it. here's what i tried: %s~results=.*echo Total:.* ${7}~PROCESS \; results=.*echo Total:.* ${7}~g the problem is,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
TEMPFILE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       TEMPFILE(1)

NAME
tempfile - create a temporary file in a safe manner SYNOPSIS
tempfile [-d DIR] [-p STRING] [-s STRING] [-m MODE] [-n FILE] [--directory=DIR] [--prefix=STRING] [--suffix=STRING] [--mode=MODE] [--name=FILE] [--help] [--version] DESCRIPTION
tempfile creates a temporary file in a safe manner. It uses tempnam(3) to choose the name and opens it with O_RDWR | O_CREAT | O_EXCL. The filename is printed on standard output. See tempnam(3) for the actual steps involved in directory selection. The directory in which to create the file might be searched for in this order (but refer to tempnam(3) for authoritative answers): a) In case the environment variable TMPDIR exists and contains the name of an appropriate directory, that is used. b) Otherwise, if the --directory argument is specified and appropriate, it is used. c) Otherwise, P_tmpdir (as defined in <stdio.h>) is used when appropriate. d) Finally an implementation-defined directory (/tmp) may be used. OPTIONS
-d, --directory DIR Place the file in DIR. -m, --mode MODE Open the file with MODE instead of 0600. -n, --name FILE Use FILE for the name instead of tempnam(3). The options -d, -p, and -s are ignored if this option is given. -p, --prefix STRING Use up to five letters of STRING to generate the name. -s, --suffix STRING Generate the file with STRING as the suffix. --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. --version Print version information on standard output and exit successfully. RETURN VALUES
An exit status of 0 means the temporary file was created successfully. Any other exit status indicates an error. BUGS
Exclusive creation is not guaranteed when creating files on NFS partitions. tempfile cannot make temporary directories. tempfile is dep- recated; you should use mktemp(1) instead. EXAMPLE
#!/bin/sh #[...] t=$(tempfile) || exit trap "rm -f -- '$t'" EXIT #[...] rm -f -- "$t" trap - EXIT exit SEE ALSO
tempnam(3), mktemp(1) Debian 27 Jun 2012 TEMPFILE(1)