Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Software RAID on Linux
Operating Systems Linux Software RAID on Linux Post 302282760 by mark54g on Sunday 1st of February 2009 10:22:42 PM
Old 02-01-2009
I don't see how putting them on the same channel will degrade performance to a significant degree. The theoretical limit on SATA is 300MB/s and I have not seen any drives that reliably push more than 90MB/sec on for more than a few minutes at a time. The drives I am going for are lower power 5400-7200rpm variable rotational drives.

As far as the drives themselves, I was going to use a tool WD provides to enable RAID optimized TLER to prevent deep recovery on failed write/read as this could cause a drop on RAID performance (The main difference in their RE series drives).

As for the file systems, I usually break into more than 3, giving /boot, /, /usr, /srv, /home, var and /tmp their own, as well as probably going with a swap partition on the boot drive and a swap file on the array, at least until I get the boot drives mirrored. Then I will not use the swap file any longer and only use the partition on the boot mirror.
I had always planned on LVM for the devices, to aid in the management, or if not LVM, I thought perhaps about using EVMS, but with the reduced support of it, it made me hesitant to try it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Raid software besides Veritass

Hello Lunix people, I am looking for Raid software or solution besides Veritas. Veritas has some great software but are way too costly. Does anyone know of good raid software that but NOT Veritas. I need the funcations but not the cost. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtmeisel
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Software RAID ...

Hi all, I m just trying using software RAID in RHEL 4, without problem , then i wanna simulate if disk 1 is fail (thereis an bootloader), i plug off my 1st disk. My problems is the second disk cannot boot? just stuck in grub, the computer is hang. Sorry for poor concept in RAID? I use a RAID 1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Software RAID (0+1)

Hi! A couple of months ago a disk failed in our JBOD cabinett and I have finally got a new disk to replace it with. It was a RAID 0 so we have to create and configure the whole thing again. First we thought of RAID 1+0 but it seems you can't do this with LVM. If you read my last thread, you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Software RAID doubt

hi friends, I am having issues with adding a spare device to a failed array. I have created RAID 1 with 3 partitions using mdadm command. Later I added a spare with mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdb6 This works fine and when I check this with mdadm --detail command it just sits there as a spare... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
7 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Software RAID

Hello, My company has inherited a Centos based machine that has 7 hard drives and a software based raid system. Supposedly one of the drives has failed. I need to replace the hardrive. How can I about telling which hard drive needs replacing? I have looked in the logs and there clearly is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Software RAID configuration

We have configured software based RAID5 with LVM on our RHEL5 servers. Please let us know if its good to configure software RAID on live environment servers. What can be the disadvantages of software RAID against hardware RAID (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitchnelson
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware to software RAID migration

We have hardware RAID configured on our T6320 server and two LDOMs are running on this server. One of our disk got failed and replaced. After replacemnt the newly installed disk not detected by RAID controlled so Oracle suggested to upgrade the REM firmware. As this is the standalone production... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock123
0 Replies
ARCMSR(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 ARCMSR(4)

NAME
arcmsr -- Areca Technology Corporation SATA/SAS RAID controller SYNOPSIS
arcmsr* at pci? dev ? function ? DESCRIPTION
The arcmsr driver provides support for the PCI-X and PCI Express RAID controllers from Areca Technology Corporation: - ARC-1110 PCI-X 4 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1110ML PCI-X 4 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1120 PCI-X 8 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1120ML PCI-X 8 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1130 PCI-X 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1130ML PCI-X 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1160 PCI-X 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1160ML PCI-X 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1170 PCI-X 24 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1200 Rev A PCI Express 2 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1202 PCI Express 2 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1210 PCI Express 4 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1220 PCI Express 8 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1230 PCI Express 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1230ML PCI Express 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1231ML PCI Express 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1260 PCI Express 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1260ML PCI Express 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1261ML PCI Express 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1280 PCI Express 24 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1280ML PCI Express 24 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1680 PCI Express 8 Port SAS RAID Controller - ARC-1680LP PCI Express 8 Port SAS RAID Controller - ARC-1680i PCI Express 8 Port SAS RAID Controller - ARC-1680x PCI Express 8 Port SAS RAID Controller - ARC-1681 PCI-X 8 Port SAS RAID Controller These controllers support RAID levels 0, 1, 1E, 3, 5, 6, and JBOD using either SAS or SATA II drives. arcmsr supports management and monitoring of the controller through the bioctl(8) and envstat(8) commands. Please note, however, that to use some features that require special privileges, such as creating/removing hot-spares, pass-through disks or RAID volumes will require to have the password disabled in the firmware; otherwise a Permission denied error will be reported by bioctl(8). When a RAID 1 or 1+0 volume is created, either through the bioctl(8) command or controller's firmware, the volume won't be accessible until the initialization is done. A way to get access to the sd(4) device that corresponds to that volume without rebooting, is to issue the fol- lowing command (once the initialization is finished): $ scsictl scsibus0 scan any any The arcmsr driver will also report to the kernel log buffer any error that might appear when handling firmware commands, such as used by the bioctl(8) command. EVENTS
The arcmsr driver is able to send events to powerd(8) if a volume or any drive connected to the volume is not online. The state-changed event will be sent to the /etc/powerd/scripts/sensor_drive script when such condition happens. SEE ALSO
intro(4), pci(4), scsi(4), sd(4), bioctl(8), envstat(8), powerd(8), scsictl(8) HISTORY
The arcmsr driver first appeared in NetBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
The arcmsr driver was originally written for OpenBSD by David Gwynne. It was ported to NetBSD and extended by Juan Romero Pardines. BSD
March 3, 2008 BSD